Thread: Vitamins and colds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vitamins and colds

Hi all

Looks like i am starting my third cold/ virus of the year. Aside from Manuka honey which a lot of people swear by (i hate the taste so dilute it in hot drinks) what vitamins can i take to support my immune system and hopefully fight it off faster?

I've had more colds and viruses this year, tho technically in remission - make sense?!

Today i have taken Vitamin C and this seemed to take the edge off the symptoms for a few hours but they've worn off and feeling feverish now. Sore throat and mucus is upon me.

Help!!
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry you are feeling bad. I hear Vitamin C and Zinc is good. My grandmother use to heat up Dr. Pepper, Kentucky Whiskey and a squeeze of lemon, anytime we had a cold. Swore by it. Lots of fluids and chicken noodle soup!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my younger days, I took two Corricidin D with an ounce or so of whiskey every four hours. Don't know for sure if it cured the cold, but I surely slept well!!

Now, I take vitamin C and Zicam (OTC zinc prep with vitamin C).
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What dose Vitamin C would you recommend?
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    What dose Vitamin C would you recommend?
    I take 1000 mg/day. Have for years...don't get many if any colds. Also a multivitamin...
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I normally take 1000mg. Vit.C a day along with 1000mg. of lysine, which helps fight viruses. This is partly to prevent cold sores. Recently I got my first cold since dx and doubled the dose of those two things. It seemed to help. I got over the cold fairly quickly with just some residual coughing which at this point is probably my regular Wegs cough. I also take Zinc daily via a Calcium supplement that contains zinc and magnesium.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have liver or kidney damage it might help to check with pharmacist (chemist?) to see what they recommend for you and to be sure it is OK with other meds and your general health. They often know what over the counter meds are best to take.