User Tag List

Likes Likes:  16

Thread: Sore red eye or inflammation question? Can this be GPA related?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sore red eye or inflammation question? Can this be GPA related?

At my first follow up visit after a lengthy hospital treatment for GPA (Wegener's) seven years ago my treating advised me to find an eye doctor that would see me immediately if I had any eye problems or changes in vision. He said since you lost your hearing we want to try save your vision.

I had scleritis before my diagnosis of GPA and have also had some infections of the eye and lids since my diagnosis of GPA.

I developed cellulitis three weeks ago on the back of my skull near my BAHA site and have been taking oral antibiotics since then. Cellulitis is a high risk problem for people with diabetes or suppressed immune systems and I have both. I had an MRI a week ago that confirmed cellulitis and indicated that if the infection was in the skull bone it was mild so far. Other wise I would need IV antibiotics for a longer period of time. I have another 14 days left on my oral antibiotic.

The cellulitis was not responding to treatment and moved down to my neck a week ago and seemed to be getting worse till I stopped my immuno-suppressant drug of aziothioprine three days ago. My eye looked red when I woke up two days ago. Other people have told me they have had a similar experience from a broken blood vessel in their eye but no other symptoms other that the bloody looking red eye so it was not big deal.

My eye feels dry and has mild pain of feeling like being poked in the eye. My eye is watering a bit and vision seems slight blurred. I am seeing an optometrist to have it examined in a a coupe hours. Of course local doctors are not very familiar with GPA or its complications but should be able to diagnose any other eye disease or problem that might be causing my symptoms.

The optometrist said it looks like a routine rupture of a blood vessel from unknown cause and many people experience such events and they generally resolve in week or two. using normal eyes drops like "Refresh" to help the eye feel better is all that is necessary. This was a relief to hear.

I hope my sore eye is not related to any GPA activity but wanted to inquire on here if any one has had similar symptoms that appeared related to GPA activity. Tomorrow I plan to start tapering my azathioprine back up to my maintenance dosage of 175 mg daily. I will do this by starting with 50 the first day, then 100 the next, then 150, and 200 and then resume my normal maintenance dosage. Of course if the cellulitis flares back up or gets worse again I may have to adjust this or continue to hold the immuno-suppressant med.

Unfortunately I have several drug allergies and may be developing one to the cephalosporin since I have noticed some itching on my wrists which could further complicate my treatment of the cellulitis.

I would like to hear from anyone who has had any similar experiences.
    Last edited by drz; 08-05-2017 at 08:02 PM. Reason: addition of new info
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!