Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post New to WG.com from Houston TX

Hello everyone,
    To begin, I would like to say that this web site has been the most help for me and my family the last 5 days, since my wife was told that she has WG. I thank you for all of your stories. Y'all have helped us in a time that we really do need it.
    Here is our story. Mary is my beautiful wife, I'm Brian, her lucky husband, and we have two boys. My wife has been having bad problems with her sinuses for a little over a year now. It first seemed that she was just having her allergies act up because of all of the pollen, ragweed, ect. in the air. Then about 6 months ago, she got a ear infection in her left ear. It had gotten so infected that it had gotten so swollen and cause her ear drum to form two holes on it. She was given medicine to help the infection, but it would still have fluid build up inside of it and never heal all the way. After this cycle happened for about 3 months, it spread to her right ear. Same problems, but the swelling never got as bad. I suggested to have a tube put in to prevent the liquid from building up in her ear. The doctor put the tube in her ear and thought it might prevent it as well. Two weeks later, there was no fluid in her ear, but two new holes had appeared on her right ear drum. That is when the ENT did more blood test, saw high numbers (ANCA 1:40H<1:20AI and Proteinase 3 antibody 5.9H<1.0AI). He suggested a rheumatologist and she went to see him for the first time last week (Tuesday). She said that he looked over the countless blood test, MRI and Cat scans that she has had to undertake the last several months and seemed to agree it was WG. She will not see him for another week. She has been taking 80mg pred. a day for 2 weeks until last Thursday when the RH took it down to 60 mg. I was not able to go to her first appointment with the RH and I can wait another 8 days to get some answers. I hope you all will take a minute or two to save me from feeling my head with the things that you can find, or can't, on the web.
    Now here are my questions. From everything that I have read, I thought that the only way that you can for sure say that it is WG, you have to have a biopsy. Is that still the case? Neither doctor has suggested one yet. Next, I read that a lot of people have the sinus problems, but havent seen much about the holes in the ear drums and/or hearing problems. Has anyone else had their first symptoms similar to my wife? Does anyone have long term affects from the preds? What do y'all suggest about the treatment? Cytoxin just scares me to use. What should I ask the RH when I finally get the chance in 8 days? Does anyone know of a doctor that they know of in Houston or Texas that they see that they would suggest?
    I could ask questions for another hour, but I will stop here. I'm sorry if I have said something or have been to blunt on anything that I might have said. I know that I'm not the one that has to live with WG the rest of my life, but I just want to help my wife in any way that I can. She is not the type of person to reach out for help like this, but I will. Everyone on this forum has some much more info than I can find on any other web site. I thank you all for your time and can't wait to read your valuable insight in the morning!
    Last edited by TheMitchells; 08-04-2014 at 07:21 PM.