User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else haqve trouble sleeping?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although it is only well known for affecting women, men can suffer from it too (me!). My heart used to sink when it came on at night and I just wanted to sleep instead of spending a couple of hours going to the loo. Drinking plenty always worked for me, but it was still very unpleasant. Have you tried drinking cranberry juice? It is supposed to be very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like you could have a persistent bladder infection. Have you tried something as simple as cranberry juice? If you can't get straight cranberry juice (no sugar, no other juice types added), you can get it as a supplement.

Also try probiotics. I imagine you've been on antibiotics as a Weggie and may need to repopulate your gut with the good guys. Take at least 5 billion on an empty stomach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for the advice and your understanding.

Looks like cranberry juice is the way to go - shame I really can't stand them!
    I will definitely look into supplements though as it's really starting to get me down.

I'm on Bactrim which according to the GP is the main antibiotic for treating UTI's - what sort of probiotic would you suggest? I can only think of the yoghurt based drinks that are always advertised here.

PS: Jack, I should have known. There doesn't seem to be much you haven't experienced!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luce View Post
    PS: Jack, I should have known. There doesn't seem to be much you haven't experienced!
    Yes, it's getting embarrassing. It must sound like I'm making it up or am a hypochondriac (I wish ). My episodes date back to the time before I started taking Co-Trimoxazole, so perhaps this is one of the things it has helped to eliminate.

I do wonder about the long term effects of antibiotics though. I sometimes wonder if some of my gut problems are due to this. I might try giving them a break for a while and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sleep? What is that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha Lisa, you've reminded me of a Barenaked Ladies song:

"Who needs sleep, well you're never gonna get it. Who needs sleep, tell me what's that for?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like it Luce!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amount of probiotics in yogurt doesn't even approach what you need to recover from antibiotics. Even one round of antibiotics can create imbalances that persist for years if not corrected. If you're on antibiotics, you should stay on probiotics. If you're off antibiotics, take probiotics for a full 6 weeks at least.

For a good probiotic, go to a health food store and ask for the medium-priced brand. Too cheap and there aren't any live bacteria. Too expensive and you're paying for stuff you don't need.

Many bladder infections are yeast-based, not bacterial. Even the bacterial ones can usually be treated better with natural remedies, without upsetting your entire system. Cranberry juice works because it prevents bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall, and it also changes the pH of the urine, which neither yeast nor bacteria like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I love you Sangye, I will confirm my affections once I've had a chance to try this out.

Just a thought - neither of these things will interact with the drugs I'm taking for the Wegs will they?

I take 1500mg Cellcept daily, 40mg Omeprazole, 480mg Bactrim, 7.5mg pred and 32mg of Candesartan for blood pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL-- I hope you won't love me less if you still have bladder problems. There aren't any Hallmark cards for that. Who else but a Weggie would buy the card "I love you, even though my bladder's still a mess!"

Cranberry juice and probiotics are fine with those drugs. No need to go crazy with the Cranberry juice. If you're drinking it, 3 oz twice a day is probably plenty to begin with. It's potent stuff!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast