User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Arrrgggg! Its got me..... or is it I got it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi Hammy
    i took mxt and preds last year and thoght i could carry on as normal
    in therory yes but put into pratice no
    used to take mxt on a saturday and was on go slow until about wed and i didnt listen to doc advice about resting and listening to own body
    i would push myself then end up with total burn out for days
    now a year on im taking another chemo drug but resting and only doing what my body tells me to and yes the naggers on the site have stopped or made me do the right thing on many occasions too
    if only i could give up the triple chocolate muffins they look far better than any banana !
    The one message i learnt early on is take on day at a time and not to beat myself up about things
    opps i thing ELephant and Sangye have started to rub off on me im starting to nag
    BUT this is a great site for help and friendship to help us through
    DEE x

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Hammy, welcome to the group! It's great that they caught your Wegs early on. Don't feel bad that you don't have worse symptoms--Wegs is no breeze for anyone.

So... I hate to say this, but you're just gonna have to adapt your lifestyle, at least for the time being. If you continue overexerting, you can actually turn a mild case of Wegs into a living nightmare. Once that happens, there's no going back. It's a type of denial we have, thinking we can just take the drugs and go on with our lives business as usual. You've already seen that working your usual hectic pace is too much. Running on top of that-- yikes. And running to compensate for a poor diet is a very bad idea. You have got to fix that diet if you're concerned about weight. Another concern is that pred makes it very easy to rupture tendons and ligaments, so running is not safe.

I'm sorry. I'm telling you the hard truth and wish I could say you can keep your life as is and you'll be fine. "Slow and steady wins the race" should be the Wegs anthem. The more you push it, the longer you stay on high doses and/or stronger meds, and the longer it takes to get into remission.

Take advantage of the fact that you have mild disease. The drugs and dosages you're on won't wipe you out or do so much lasting damage that running is never an option again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your input Sangye and for the other welcoming replies.

The pen is mightier than the sword and to see what, if I'm being honest I know, in black & white, hits home a lot harder than a words in a consultation, where one can listen, but often hear only what you want to!

My main consultant did say to stop running but when I went back for a review I saw someone else who said that it would be ok if I kept it reasonable. What is reasonable?

Bottom line is I will stop running and listen to my body. Don't see my consultant for 8 weeks so it will give me time take control and see what happens to my symptoms.

With regards to my diet, my answer was a little 'tongue in cheek' and whilst not perfect as I am always picking, is not too bad either. Always room for improvement though! I do need to make changes and remove the weight I have gained..... just not sure I am ready for this at the mo. But it will have to be addressed.

Not sure that I should show your reply to the wife as I can feel " I told you so" coming on. Lol.