User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foot Neuropathy, "Tingle" Relief - Can You Help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi! Our daughter was diagnosed at age 14. She was a competitive athlete before she got sick, and concurrent with all her other symptoms was PN, so I always just say (along with her doctors) that it was part of the Weg. She did have physical therapy, both to specifically address the PN and also to regain muscle tone. I'm so bummed you don't have access to PT, so I am moved to write what I remember of her exercises. First, I was fascinated by the PT just taking a regular safety pin, and without our daughter looking, poked her in the bottom of her heels with the rounded end and with the dull end. The foot with the worst PN could not differentiate between the two ends. That was such a visible demonstration to me of what was going on. I remember they massaged her feet a lot, and her dad did also at home in between visits. There was an exercise where our daughter would dump about 70 or 100 marbles on the floor and then pick them up with her toes and put them into a box. There was an exercise where she would sidestep back and forth in between lines. Anything that encouraged nerve stimulation (going barefoot or having very supportive shoes) was helpful. And it all really did help. Then again, she was a kid with faster healing! Anyway, I hope this helps you. I remember the PN was very frustrating for her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, David, if your toes are clumping together at all, along with the PN, there are devices online for toe separation, as well as special shoes and socks that keep the toes separated and thus more able to receive adequate circulation and operate independently in supporting your foot. I have a pre-existing condition of bunions, which for me is hereditary, and is caused by a weak arch and a misalignment of the toe bones. This can cause the toes to clump together as well, which is even more uncomfortable when the PN is thrown in. I also get some uncomfortable cramping which seems related to all this and can radiate up the legs, especially at night when trying to sleep. I know my PN is not as bad as some, but a lot of people may have bunions or other toe issues, and separating the toes with a comfortable device, shoe, or sock, can help overall when these problems coincide. I've tried a few devices and have been looking online for better ones that might be available, and will share if I find something great. I'd like something I could wear inside a shoe that would separate all 5 toes..
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious - do those novelty socks with individual toe compartments work? Or the toe separators they sell for pedicures?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whatthewhat View Post
    Just curious - do those novelty socks with individual toe compartments work? Or the toe separators they sell for pedicures?
    All I can say is they help. Some are better quality than others, last longer, launder better, etc. There are a lot of things I haven't tried. My favorites are "yoga sandals" sold to me a few years ago under that brand name, but they've changed their style so I can't speak for the newer ones. Something like the old style I have is now being sold online by other companies as "pedicure sandals". I can't be sure they are the same quality. Mine have lasted for years, have sturdy, foot-friendly soles, and I can wear them all over, and they were not expensive. As for socks, I think any toe separation would make the foot more comfortable, and looking for good quality ones that would hold up would be the ticket. (I got some at the Dollar Tree and don't have high hopes.) Whether anything will actually "fix" bunions, if that is your problem, I have my doubts, but slowing down the progression of it could be possible. In any case, with bunions, NP, or both, comfort is a big plus. I'll let you know when I find something really great, or that looks promising; there's a lot online and hard to make decisions on what to order.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was in the Columbus Dispatch:
    Neuropathy patients take to tango as therapy

Neuropathy patients take to tango as therapy | The Columbus Dispatch

(Via Dispatch)
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw this useful info in the news for diabetic neuropathy. Thought the info could apply to all neuropathy probably. Wanted to share with my GPA friends that suffer with this.

Coping with diabetic nerve pain
    https://www.healthgrades.com/conditi...2&sr=C53310a10
    Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;
    in all your ways submit to him,
    and he will make your paths straight.
    Proverbs 3: 5-6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12