Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Risk of cancer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Risk of cancer?

Like Jack's saying, "just because you have one bad disease, doesn't mean you can't have others".

Some of the drugs I have taken for treatment for GPA along with high number of x-rays seem suggest an increased risk of various cancers. I was wonder how others handle this risk or monitor their body for any signs of developing cancer.

One of my fears is that any signs of cancer or other new bad disease might be missed and passed off due to my GPA just like many of my first GPA symptoms were dismissed as complications of my diabetes.

Like VDUB said GPA can increase hypochondriasis so how do others balance between being properly vigilant so you don't miss a new bad disease or GPA flare and excessive fear and worry of an hypochondriac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balance is a lifelong goal. My advice to anyone is to stay in touch with yourself. We have an inner something, call it spirit, light, intuition, or something else. Listen to it...always.

Its okay to be super vigilant, better safe then sorry. At the same time, we don't want to obsess either. When something seems out of order, look into it, get the answer and move forward. You'll know when to dig deeper. I've heard it and said it over and over, we must be our own advocates. If sometimes it comes across as hypochondriac, that's okay. I'm sure people think that of me right now, and you know what? I don't care. This is my life in question. I want to be here for my kids for a long time.

Keep listening to your body with strength and determination. I believe you'll know when to insist on answers and when to move forward. I would never consider someone in your situation a hypochondriac, you have earned the right to be concerned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One last thought. I was loaned a book called The Cancer Fighting Kitchen. It has great info on foods known to fight cancer with excellent recipes. My friend called it "The, insert your disease here, Fighting Kitchen". It says it has 150 science-based, nutrient-rich recipes. It helps patients get nutrition during and after chemo. There's something in it called Magic Mineral Broth which you can look up online....its great stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Nancy - - Just a reminder, please make sure those healthy recipes don't boost one's immune system along the way. Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    ....Like VDUB said GPA can increase hypochondriasis so how do others balance between being properly vigilant so you don't miss a new bad disease or GPA flare and excessive fear and worry of an hypochondriac.
    Yeah, but how to separate being hypochondriacal from being vigilant--aware of what is happening to your body? Once you have a dire disease, I think you are allowed to have dire thoughts, though maybe it is best to laugh off those dire thoughts with a shrug; WG is terribly risible, come down to it. Yes, many cancers are more likely once the immune system no longer gets the funding, due to other (ANCA) scandals in the department. But what are you going to do? I mean, other than report every anomaly to your main wrangler, who knows, or should know, about the risks of the meds. In all cases, I wouldn't worry about how the doctor is labeling you. He or she is getting paid very well to listen to all your complaints, so you may as well get your money's worth.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reminder, Ron. Do you know of any specifics to watch out for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I'm no cook but I have heard that mushrooms boost the immune system (as do certain supplements and teas). Probably easy to research though. Good luck, Nancy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have definitely become more hyper-vigilant since dx. The past couple years I've worked hard at reeling it in and being willing to just wait and see when something new crops up. Jack taught me that, actually.

A lot of symptoms appear and disappear on their own. A lot of symptoms seem to constantly change but when I look at them over time they're really not getting worse, just sort of cycling. For example my shins and backs of my calves are bright red and hot. I mean REALLY red and hot. It has freaked out many a doctor for over 5 years now. I used to freak out more on the days when they were redder and hotter. There is no explanation for it. And now that I've just watched them I notice that they aren't changing over time. Some days they're worse, some days better.

I'm learning to take the attitude of a mother watching her 6th child play-- watchful but not leaping up at every fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I'm learning to take the attitude of a mother watching her 6th child play-- watchful but not leaping up at every fall..

LOL I like that. I babysat for a lady that had 6 children and that is a great comparison.
    lightning crashes
    leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I'm learning to take the attitude of a mother watching her 6th child play-- watchful but not leaping up at every fall.
    Well put, excellent attitude! Only problem is when I leap up, I fall down sometimes, so best to be careful and patient!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast