Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Switching from MTX oral to injection

Any tips? Has anyone else done this and experienced worse/different side effects than from taking it orally?

I still have to overcome my phobia of needles so that I can inject myself, but hubby (w/years as a paramedic) is my fallback shot-giver. My rheumy's nurse gave me a "lesson" today and gave me the first injection. I was surprised at how little it hurt. Knowing that may make it possible for me to do it myself, but I won't know for sure until it's time for my dose next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,
    I switched from mtx oral to injection due to the fact that I was experiencing extreme nausea and vomitting. I was elated the first week as I experienced no side effects after the first injection. The second week, however brought some mild nausea and then things got worse with the next few injections. I now have switched to Immuran and have been very lucky to feel almost no side effects. I think each person responds differently to each medication, so my experience may not be yours. The actual injection itself was very tolerable I found. The pain of the actual needle was not really an issue.

I hope the mtx injection works for you without any difficulties.

Michele

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have switched from oral to injection. Far more tolerable. I hated the oral with a passion -- made me feel rotten for a day every week! A couple of lessons on self injection and I am now going solo - no real problems so far, but it is early days yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily I wasn't having any bad side effects from the oral mtx. It just stopped working. I was already close to the max oral dosage, so doc suggested trying the injectable. Keeping my fingers crossed for it working for both of us, pwc!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I switched from oral to injectable 2 weeks ago. I was at 30 mg oral, and not experiencing nausea, but had bad "mental" side effects - drunken or drugged feeling that I couldn't shake - it also made me very agitated. So far, I have not experienced these side effects with the injections. The shots themselves are not bad at all. Be brave! You can do it yourself too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris and pwc, how long were you on oral before you switched? I started the oral last early July.