Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help- the flu!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help- the flu!!!

Ok my 2yr. old just started throwing up-actually threw up all over me. I have been on pred. for a month and cytoxan for just over a week. What am I to except when (b/c I'm sure I will) get the flu. My 3 and 5 yr. old were drinking after her this morning before she got sick-this should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well here's the thing....at least this is how it was explained to me some time ago and I'm happy to take correction on this. You feel sick because of your immune system's response to whatever you have. You may not feel sick at all because your immune system is so smashed at the moment. I don't have kids, I have dogs and I can throw them outside. I guess you can't do that to your kids huh :-) What I do when I can't keep away from sick people is try and follow as strict hygene as I can e.g. washing hands and encourage others around me to do the same. I also take vitamin C every day but whether that actually helps or not I'm unsure.

Well, that's either helpful or confusing or a bit of both
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it is any comfort, I've never noticed any increased susceptibility to catching colds and flu even when I've been very immune suppressed. However, I know it can cause problems, so don't let anything develop too far without letting your docs know about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you guys gotten the flu while immunosuppressed? and was it worse then when you have had the flu when you were "normal"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Oh yeah baby! Certainly have. I have lung involvement so at times it has freaked me out if I get a lung infection but that's more mental than anything else. Usually for me it's the garden variety flu/cold and it goes away eventually after hanging around longer than it should.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You won't necessarily get the flu just because your daughter did. (And it might not be flu--just a regular bug)

Vitamin D is specifically effective at preventing flu and lessening its severity. Take a sizeable dose for the next few days-- 6,000 IU per day is not unreasonable. Supermarket brands are lousy and you'd have to take a whole bottle just to get a proper dose. Don't stay on this dose for longer than a week or two without checking with a physician-- holistic or medical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

THanks Sangye I'll try the Vit. D

Unfortunelty even when healthy I get the flu every single time my kids do. I think I have literally had the flu at least 7 time in the last 5 yrs. My husband never gets it just me and the kids. But we'll keep our fingers crossed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When's the last time you saw a chiropractor? Your kids, too. None of you should be getting sick that often.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have never had the flu. I get the very occasional cold, but nothing worse than when I was fit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy Camper,

I have had a continuous rollercoaster of a sinus infection for the last year. I also have a lung infection right now as well and they have narrowed it down to the same type of bacteria as Leprosy and TB.

I have been on Cellcept for the last year and a half. I may be a rare case getting sick like this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast