Results 2,091 to 2,100 of 2670

Thread: Update on pberggren

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wegetarian View Post
    How much pred do you need to take? Would you happen to know an estimate on how much the body produces on its own? I tried googling but couldn't find any info. Guess it might not be directly comparable to the tabs we take?

Prednisone is a synthetic drug that suppresses the production of other chemicals we need: Here is some info from wikipedia:
    Adrenal suppression will begin to occur if prednisone is taken for longer than seven days. Eventually, this may cause the body to temporarily lose the ability to manufacture natural corticosteroids (especially cortisol), which results in dependence on prednisone. For this reason, prednisone should not be abruptly stopped if taken for more than seven days, instead, the dosage should be gradually reduced. This weaning process may be over a few days, if the course of prednisone was short, but may take weeks or months if the patient had been on long-term treatment. Abrupt withdrawal may lead to an Addison crisis. For those on chronic therapy, alternate-day dosing may preserve adrenal function and thereby reduce side-effects.[16]Glucocorticoids act to inhibit-feedback of both the hypothalamus, decreasing corticotropin-releasing hormone [CRH], and corticotrophs in the anterior pituitary gland, decreasing the amount of adrenocorticotropic hormone [ACTH]. For this reason, glucocorticoid analogue drugs such as prednisone down-regulate the natural synthesis of glucocorticoids. This mechanism leads to dependence in a short time and can be dangerous if medications are withdrawn too quickly. The body must have time to begin synthesis of CRH and ACTH and for the adrenal glands to begin functioning normally again.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also just read or saw on the news that long term use of pred. can cause diabetes. That's great....another side effect of these wonderful drugs
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oh great

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Prednisone is a synthetic drug that suppresses the production of other chemicals we need: Here is some info from wikipedia:
    Adrenal suppression will begin to occur if prednisone is taken for longer than seven days. Eventually, this may cause the body to temporarily lose the ability to manufacture natural corticosteroids (especially cortisol), which results in dependence on prednisone. For this reason, prednisone should not be abruptly stopped if taken for more than seven days, instead, the dosage should be gradually reduced. This weaning process may be over a few days, if the course of prednisone was short, but may take weeks or months if the patient had been on long-term treatment. Abrupt withdrawal may lead to an Addison crisis. For those on chronic therapy, alternate-day dosing may preserve adrenal function and thereby reduce side-effects.[16]Glucocorticoids act to inhibit-feedback of both the hypothalamus, decreasing corticotropin-releasing hormone [CRH], and corticotrophs in the anterior pituitary gland, decreasing the amount of adrenocorticotropic hormone [ACTH]. For this reason, glucocorticoid analogue drugs such as prednisone down-regulate the natural synthesis of glucocorticoids. This mechanism leads to dependence in a short time and can be dangerous if medications are withdrawn too quickly. The body must have time to begin synthesis of CRH and ACTH and for the adrenal glands to begin functioning normally again.
    One other horrible thing ti have to worry about. We already hate pred and now we have even more reason.. I was so happy when I decided tp go drug free. It was fantastic and >I was in remission for 3 years, but nothing lasts forever.
    My blog: Animo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a very special hatred for Prednisone. I had lost 40lbs when I got sick. I think the last 10 lbs was from being sick because it was right around then that everything started to go sideways. Then ... after being down and out and not working out anymore, the weight slowly started to creep back. My dear friend, Mr. Prednisone, decided to come visit and brought with him alllllllllll those lost lbs and then a few more.
    It slammed me with a HUGE depression because I had worked SO hard to live a healthy lifestyle and get into great physical shape, only to be knocked off the horse, gain weight and to fall so far back in my goals. Not forever through ... I will be back to doing my 315lb deadlifts someday. Just not for awhile. I think I'll start with 45lbs and work up from there!
    Prednisone. It sucks. It has many-a-benefit if you can see past all the negatives. However, I happen to really hate it. I take what I'm told, but I don't jhave to like it!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiNicole View Post
    I have a very special hatred for Prednisone. I had lost 40lbs when I got sick. I think the last 10 lbs was from being sick because it was right around then that everything started to go sideways. Then ... after being down and out and not working out anymore, the weight slowly started to creep back. My dear friend, Mr. Prednisone, decided to come visit and brought with him alllllllllll those lost lbs and then a few more.
    It slammed me with a HUGE depression because I had worked SO hard to live a healthy lifestyle and get into great physical shape, only to be knocked off the horse, gain weight and to fall so far back in my goals. Not forever through ... I will be back to doing my 315lb deadlifts someday. Just not for awhile. I think I'll start with 45lbs and work up from there!
    Prednisone. It sucks. It has many-a-benefit if you can see past all the negatives. However, I happen to really hate it. I take what I'm told, but I don't jhave to like it!
    I gained 10 kilos in the first week of taking Pred. I just got back on it after an over three year break. I don't know how long I will have to ues it because my doctor knows how much I hate Pred so he usually zaps me for a few months then slowly brings me off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new doctor is allowing me to start a taper tomorrow. I am so excited to get off this blasted medication. I much prefer feeling lousy for two days a week with my MTX. I am hoping I can still taper, my CRP test isn't back yet so I am not quite sure if I have my inflammation under control. Hopefully that will come tomorrow morning.
    I do hope that you also get to come off it soon!
    Officially Diagnosed 07/31/2013

My blog: http://nikkinicolealison.com

"It's no use going back to yesterday because I was a different person then" - Alice in Wonderland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I also just read or saw on the news that long term use of pred. can cause diabetes. That's great....another side effect of these wonderful drugs
    Yeah, I assumed that's why they were monitoring our blood sugars.

BTW, found this food guide for vasculites really interesting. It has one page on managing steroid induced diabetes (healthy weight, excercirse, choosing whole grain). Found the other topics much more interesting though, and it convinced me to eat slightly healthier. I linked it on another thread but I'll put it here too in case its of use:

http://ncvasculitissupportgroup.memb...deswebsite.pdf
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieB View Post
    Get well soon, Phil, the forum just isn't the same without you!
    That is for sure. Get well soon Phil y mucho animo y abrazos, Barbara

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara N View Post
    That is for sure. Get well soon Phil y mucho animo y abrazos, Barbara
    Wait, what did I miss? You OK Phil?
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Barbara and all is okay Weg man. No worries.....I am Batman after all.....
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003