User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another Prednisone question!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The diuretic helps with fluid retention, but will not greatly reduce the puffiness from pred. There's no getting around that while on pred. I get a lot of fluid retention in my hands and fingers and it helps a lot. When I was doing the rtx infusions and had 100mg IV solumedrol each time, the lasix helped cut down the sweating and fluid retention tremendously. I didn't know it during my first round last October and suffered with severe sweats and swelling for days after each one. In March, I was already taking 20mg lasix daily, so on infusion days I took it after I got home. I hardly had any sweating or swelling and could sleep well.

With lasix the potassium loss issue is a BIG deal. On top of that, pred already causes potassium loss due to all the sweating. Please make sure your doc really educates you about this aspect if you wind up taking lasix. Potassium excess or deficiency can be deadly.

My original doc put me on lasix when I was on high-dose pred to help me with fluid retention. I was so against drugs in those days I wouldn't take it! Dr Seo has told me he doesn't hesitate to write scrips for lasix at lower doses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am the sweating queen!!! I drink more than a gallon of water a day now. The water pill helped me a lot. But still sweat just thinking about sweating. I have people come up to me and ask if I am okay everyday!!! I look like I just got out of the shower when I start working. Good thing I am cleaning houses. I have to clean up after myself and trail. Thepuffy face is worse the high my dose goes. i also found that if I dont sweat everyday that the fluid rention becomes painful even in my face. So......... I sweat and sweat. I have learned to carry an extra set of clothes in the car so I can put something dry on if I need to run errands or see people after work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All..

I am finally off the steroids as of last week and am taking 20 mg of lasix 2x/day amongst other things including Immuran. My Dr never even mentioned potassium when prescribing it. I will be sure to ask them but what are the dangers? I did sweat when I was on high doses of pred but only at night and really not all that bad like some of you dedscribe here. I am doing pretty good although my joints are starting to ache a bit..I am going to the kitchen to get a banana now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nancy-- we should have a "You're Off Pred" party for you!! Congratulations! Here's some info on low potassium. Many people can tolerate 20mg per day of lasix without a problem, but I can't. And 40 mg/ day means you're losing significant potassium. Your lab levels may be "in range" but you might be low-normal and feel lousier than you should.

Onatreetop-- a gallon of water a day is WAY too much water. You are probably increasing your fluid retention and sweating with all that water. (It has to come out somehow) 2 to 2.5 liters is plenty of water for someone who is exerting like you are. With too much water, you're washing your meds out of you before they can work. You're losing all your water-soluble vitamins, too. B vitamins help with fluid retention and they'd get washed right out of you. Too much water dilutes the stomach acid and digestive enzymes and makes it impossible to absorb nutrients properly. Have I convinced you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Sangye! I agree 4O mg/day seems like alot. I will discuss with my Dr. Have a great day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad things are looking good for you Nancy C. One day at a time..
    Col 23

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay. okay. I got it. i am sweating like a sprinkler, With the increase in humidity and temp. I really am sweating more. Guess Ishould start drinking more wine?? Just kidding. I figured i should be trying to replace what is coming out? And I am really thursty.
    Here another pred question for long timers.............how long did you take the pred before the side effects kicked in???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As soon as I took the first dose of 60 mg of prednisone, I could not sleep, I wanted to eat and eat and eat and eat and eat and eat.....then about a month the moon face came.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started on pulse steroids (1,000 mg solumedrol IV) so the effects began within a couple hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i only have to look a an extra pred tab and i swell more my wg consult knows how much i hate them !! i once had a break of them ! and had just about got to normal weight when things to a turn for the worse and up went preds the moon face came back but not as quick as the hump on neck does and when i raise them to a much higher dose i get the shakes for a few weeks !! an't life on preds great DEEx

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast