I've been meaning to start this thread for awhile. We take so many meds that it's easy to get confused or make mistakes. My mind is so often muddled that every time I take meds, I read the bottle label out loud--drug name, dose per pill, how many to take--before taking it.

I'm currently on 3.5mg pred and most days I take 20mg Lasix/furosemide (diuretic) due to edema. The pills look identical and I take them at the same time. I don't put them in a pill box with my other meds because I can't tell the difference between them. So each morning I take 3.5 pills of pred and 1 pill of Lasix right from their bottles.

Until today. I had swallowed 60mg of lasix before I realized my mistake. This is probably not a big deal--certainly not an overdose. The two complications are that my blood pressure already runs a little low and that I also have to take a milder diuretic to keep my CSF pressure down. I've got a call in to my PCP to ask what to do.

Also, whenever I pick up meds from the pharmacy I check the labels and open the bottle to make sure the actual drugs are the right one. I've known people who were given the wrong drug or dosage. Someone I knew was given 20mg pred pills instead of 10mg. She took them for a week before the pharmacy called and said they'd made a mistake.