T-regs regulate our immune system to prevent out of control immune activation. "FOXP3+ regulatory T (Treg) cells are critical in maintaining immune tolerance and homeostasis of the immune system."

I could find nothing in my genome, predisposing me to autoimmunity through the FOXP3 gene. So far, I have found only one potential problem with my T-regs. "Inhibition of OXPHOS impaired both Tcon and Treg cell function compared to wild-type cells but disproportionally affected Treg cells."

"OXPHOS is a fundamental mitochondrial process, linking the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle to the production of adenosine triphosphate."

I have an upcoming genetics appointment to test me for mitochondrial disease. My question to the doctors is, is my possible mitochondrial disease a primary disease or is it secondary to Wegener's? If it is the former, then I might not have WG, as mitochondrial disease can mimic vasculitis. If it is the latter, I'm in a precarious position, as most immune suppressants are toxic to mitochondria. I could not tolerate CTX, Imuran or Celcept. I can only live with RTX, which can possibly lose its effectiveness over time.

I'm hypothesizing that some weggies may also have a mitochondrial disease or alternatively, may not be weggies after all. I should have my answer in the next six months. Was I misdiagnosed or under diagnosed?

Never stop questioning!!!

Case study of an inborn error manifested in the elderly: A woman with adult-onset mitochondrial disease mimicking systemic vasculitis
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30968563/