Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Coronavirus and GPA

My internist told me yesterday that with my health issues; diabetes, older age, GPA, several recent episodes of pneumonia, lung and kidney damage from diabetes and GPA, and a suppressed immune system from AZA; I am a poster child for highest risk for serious illness from coronavirus. And I should avoid any unnecessary social contact. So no more group activities or shopping in stores. I will use the drive thru window to pick up some medical supplies today.

I live in a senior housing complex where the average age is mid to high 80's and most of us also have various health issues. Most of the deaths in Washington State were at a nursing home where they had a Mardi Gras party to spread the virus. Not a wise move to expose such a vulnerable population to the coronavirus. Our facility is still allowing visitors and our schools are still open but expect this might change quickly once the virus is detected in our community. Or when some one decides to get more serious about protecting our vulnerable populations.

The Virus has been detected near my area but not yet in my community but our state has moved to many cancellations and precautions like limiting attendance to basketball tournament games to 90 people and cancelling many other games that were scheduled. High school basketball tournaments are big deal in Minnesota as they are in colleges too so cancelling all these sporting events is a serious undertaking. And so far our state is not a hot spot for the virus infections. The pro sports are giving up millions everyday so it is a big deal.

The sad thing is that the USA despite having one of the world's best health care systems is apparently among the worst at being prepared for the virus containment since South Korea tested more people in one day than the whole USA has tested since the virus was first detected. And we had several weeks to prepare but we couldn't even develop an accurate testing procedure. For some unknown and strange reason we did not want to use the testing procedures used by WHO for the rest of the world. Our hospitals are very concerned about being overwhelmed and are taking steps to postpone any elective procedures.

It is also amazing and very scary on how fast our lives have changed from the pandemic. One interesting tidbit is the lack of toilet paper and hand sanitizers for sale anywhere in town. The shelves are empty for these items.
    Last edited by drz; 03-14-2020 at 01:07 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

2. Likes Masha, John S, Keith, Aneinu, Randy liked this post