I had osteoporosis before having to go on long term prednisone, but it had truly improved with a vigorous schedule of walking and taking calcium and D3. Unfortunately, my prednisone use has worsened the situation. My breathing issues have improved immensely and so I have started back with the walking, but my rheumatologist wants me to take meds for the osteoporosis. My PCP, who is the one who has been the most helpful throughout my illness, is dead set against bisphosphonates such as Fosamx. And because I have terribly weak teeth, both doctors think I should take Forteo. It is a daily injection that can be used only for two years.

Anyone have experience with it? Of course the "black box" warning indicates bone cancer as a possible side-effect. My PCP is very cautious, so I suspect she thinks the risk is small, but I need to talk more with her.

Please note that I am an "honorary weggie", meaning I was once diagnosed with WG but that has been ruled out. I have persistent asthma, chronic sinusitis and bronchiectasis.

Thanks!