Remember Jack said "just because you have one bad disease, doesn't mean you can't have another"?

Well, my PCP is on the hunt for something in addition to wegs. I guess the new symptoms are pointing to several possibilities. He mentioned "neuro" quite a bit, but ruled out ALS. Most of the names were quite lengthy and I couldn't begin to repeat them. I have a whole battery of tests tomorrow. He joking asked me if I felt anemic -- apparently they are going to extract a lot of blood.

He also set me up with a PET scan -- that's one scan I haven't had yet. A PET scan specifically looks for cells with higher than normal sugar content. Apparently, that is one way to detect cancer, because cancer cells are metabolizing so quickly that they use more sugar than regular cells, so with a PET scan the cancer cells will glow. Kind of a neat process actually.

He doesn't think there is any cancer, but there is one spot in my lung that has grown from 7mm to 9mm since August. 9mm is to small to biopsy and probably too small for a PET, but he's going to give it a try. The 7mm spot has been chaulked up as a graunuloma and wegs damage, but he wants to make sure.

Also, remember my query for info on wegs affecting autonomic nerves? My PCP is in the same ball park as the other two doctors I talked to and thinks that wegs had a part in the failure of both the phrenic nerve controlling my diaphragm and the nerves controlling my heart. I'm surprised there isn't more information on this -- maybe its rare, who knows. I'm sure other things are failing right now, but too early to tell.

One autonomic nerve that might be failing or might have failed is some of the ones controlling sweat. I've had a difficult time controlling sweat and have previously chaulked it up to one of my many drugs or night sweats from the lack of a pituitary. But now I have another possibility.

Of course, I will keep you all posted with the interesting research and science behind this, but it will be slow moving. Cheers!