Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very Sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My doctors were concerned about my liver function when I was on it.

Metformin is a biguanide antihyperglycemic agent used for treating non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM). It improves glycemic control by decreasing hepatic glucose production, decreasing glucose absorption and increasing insulin-mediated glucose uptake. Metformin may induce weight loss and is the drug of choice for obese NIDDM patients. Use of metformin is associated with modest weight loss. When used alone, metformin does not cause hypoglycemia; however, it may potentiate the hypoglycemic effects of sulfonylureas and insulin. Its main side effects are dyspepsia, nausea and diarrhea. Dose titration and/or use of smaller divided doses may decrease side effects. Metformin should be avoided in those with severely compromised renal function (creatinine clearance < 30 ml/min), acute/decompensated heart failure, severe liver disease and for 48 hours after the use of iodinated contrast dyes due to the risk of lactic acidosis. Lower doses should be used in the elderly and those with decreased renal function. Metformin decreases fasting plasma glucose, postprandial blood glucose and glycosolated hemoglobin (HbA1c) levels, which are reflective of the last 8-10 weeks of glucose control. Metformin may also have a positive effect on lipid levels. In 2012, a combination tablet of linagliptin plus metformin hydrochloride was marketed under the name Jentadueto for use in patients when treatment with both linagliptin and metformin is appropriate.
    Last edited by drz; 12-14-2015 at 05:31 PM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry by,not buy!!! Ha ha,I love that this phone calls itself a smart phone! Deb. Smart phone all right.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz,hi! Wow, for real? Met is mainly broken down in the kidneys,that's odd... It's to bad to,cause its the one drug,I believe in. I don't buy the pre diabetic bull,thank God,my endo who is the only great doctor I've ever known,she didn't either. U either r or u r not. Better to halt the progression early. Than waiting for damage to be done... It's a great usually safe drug,assuming you're kidneys r healthy! Drz,its interesting to me that when all my symptoms came on,I was on metformin,with good numbers,and wow over night it stopped working for me,and my numbers went high. My kidneys I noticed right away with all this. Pale healthy colored urine,to overnight like ice tea with bubbles. Doc wasn't concerned here either! Urine should never be dark,and no foaming or bubbles,as that's a sign of protein leaking out.... Deb. Missing my endo,the only real doctor I've ever known.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Drz,hi! Wow, for real? Met is mainly broken down in the kidneys,that's odd... It's to bad to,cause its the one drug,I believe in. I don't buy the pre diabetic bull,thank God,my endo who is the only great doctor I've ever known,she didn't either. U either r or u r not. Better to halt the progression early. Than waiting for damage to be done... It's a great usually safe drug,assuming you're kidneys r healthy! Drz,its interesting to me that when all my symptoms came on,I was on metformin,with good numbers,and wow over night it stopped working for me,and my numbers went high. My kidneys I noticed right away with all this. Pale healthy colored urine,to overnight like ice tea with bubbles. Doc wasn't concerned here either! Urine should never be dark,and no foaming or bubbles,as that's a sign of protein leaking out.... Deb. Missing my endo,the only real doctor I've ever known.....
    Metformin is not metabolized but is secreted in the urine.

See this link for more info: DrugBank: Metformin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz,hi. Yes but still hard on kidneys,especially if they ralready taxed. Wow,I just looked at that and the liver side effects,which I never Realy paid much attention toecause up until all this,my liver numbers where perfect... Makes sense though ... Deb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spiritscript, to answer your question about biopsies, yes, the nasal biopsy is easy to get and MAY give a definite, positive result. It did with me. BUT if you have all the signs of Wegs, such as collapsed septum, and the nasal biopsy gives a negative result, it should be suspect, and biopsies should be taken other places, such as the lungs or kidneys, where you indicate you do seem to have involvement. There is no excuse for docs just sitting on their hands the way yours seem to be doing. You and Debra in NH do indeed seem to be in a similar situation. You both need better doctors, not only rheumatologists but all the others, too, depending on your involvements, and ones who are ready to take action, find whatever outside resources they may need, and quit fiddle-diddling around! It makes me angry to hear about these kinds of docs. Teri said it best in her post above!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Needle biopsy of lung - not helpful and I ended up with serious complication. They went by my symptoms and blood work to start treatment and the fool biopsy was for naught plus the tissue was not "good" enough to to pull a path report on. Ended up with nothing but a huge lung problem that is not related to GPA directly and my lungs were working fine prior to that biopsy

Teri had excellent information and is on point.

Spiritscript - please do the best you can to make them listen to you - give your docs the name and phone number of docs that know this disease. You are so worth their time and consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I am praying for you. Does your son have any brothers and sisters? My best friend has two Aspergers in his direct family. They really are great
    people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for kidney biopsy. Even if you don't have Wegener's the biopsy may indicate why you have renal failure stage 3.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kidney problems were identified by lab results, not my biopsy. That just confirmed the presence of Wegs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12