Quote Originally Posted by loisann11 View Post
I had pneumonia and was suspected of GPA over 2012 Holiday season. I was officially diagnosed and treated Easter of 2013. I had more problems at Easter and went back to hospital now with kidney involvement and lung issues. At least they could do biopsy to make sure it was GPA. I had Rituxin and all the Prednisone etc. to clear it up. I have been using Rituxin for maintenance every 6 months. It is time again but I just don't know what lab work to look at to know if I need to. With 2 major organs already having been involved I am high risk of having more problems. Most of the time I feel fine for my age, 65 with all the normal aches and pains, so I don't know how to tell what counts anymore as symptoms or just normal. Anyone else with similar story?
I have monthly labs done (mainly for my peace of mind): CBC, comprehensive metabolic panel, sedimentation rate, C-reactive protein, and urinalysis. I keep close tabs on my blood cell counts, creatinine serum, and evidence of blood in the urine.

I'm a bit older than you, so I'm aware of the aches and pains. The joint pains that roam from one joint to another are the ones that get me suspicious that I'm starting a flare. I have a hip that lets me know when the weather is changing or I've overdone my exercise regimen.

I got rituxin last August and have had no issues subsequent to that. At the time of my last rituxin, I also discontinued methotrexate, so rituxin is my maintenance drug, and I'll take it when needed as demonstrated by abnormal labs and/or a deterioration in how I feel. I also take 5 mg/day of prednisone and bactrim 3 x weekly.

Good luck.