Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: lung issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also had a partially elevated diaphragm that was affecting resp function and ended up on home O2 for awhile. Pulm told me to,walk and deep breath. I have a treadmill so would walk on the treadmill a couple times a day, take deep breathes and use the IS from the hospital. I improved slowly and not needing home 02 but am waiting on a sleep.study after my next pulm visit next week. Things can get better!

What at do they say caused your elevated diaphragm? Are you seeing cardiology for your reduced heart contraction strength?

Alysia has a good thought about resp therapy to maximize your resp function

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    It will never be normal .....
    Sorry to hear all that vdub..but you haven't been "normal " in a long time so you should be used to that !!! You did find out a lot though which is good. Did he say how your diaphragm got paralyzed ?? And how can your lung get elevated ?? I would really make an apt with your cadio. just to be on the safe side. You can have a treadmill stress test and get your running in at the same time ! Take care and keep us posted
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, how'd you make out, today? Sorry, don't mean to hijack, though I'm sure Vdub will let it slide... Hope you're good, Deb.. Deb...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well vdub, answers but of course not the ones you or us wanted to hear. I did the overnight O2 test and I went as low as 70% so I really had no choice but to go on Oxygen, but only at night. I understand not wanting to, neither did I. Hopefully with exercise you can reclaim some normalcy. Did they give you any inhalers to take with you when you do go up the hill? Might be a good idea until you know where you stand. Hoping for the best for you.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vdub,
    Well it seems like you have found out a whole lot more to try to digest and work on. I am sorry that you have more issues that have hit you and that are effecting your day to day life. You have such a wonderful attitude about all this and I know that you will overcome these issues, as you have all the other things that have hit you along the way. I was referred to respire therapy, but found it very hard to get there three times a week and they pretty much kicked me out. So walking might be your best option right know, if it is hard to get some where 3 times a week with a pulse ox of 90. I am wishing you all the best. Take care, we all care and want to see your improvement!
    Jana

Do not fear anything, just do it afraid!
    It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't want to whine about my problems (that's very unbecoming), but I do want to somewhat close up this thread so others might benefit from the information.

The shortness of breath issue is now back to the dx I had several months ago -- paralyzed diaphragm. I had an appt with the pulmonologist yesterday and he said the diaphragm definitely wasn't working properly and my breathing capacity was reduced by about 50%. The cause of this is usually due to damage to the nerve that controls breathing. The nerve runs down the right side of your neck. The damage could be from anything, but most often from some sort of accident. Wegener's isn't ruled out as the culprit, but it can't be shown as the cause either.

The "cure" for the condition is a surgical procedure where they pull the diaphragm down and tie in place. That doesn't totally cure the problem, but it does open up the right lung to allow an exchange of air. At least, that is kind of what I gather is going to happen.

I'm going to take a break from all of this stuff for a while, so there won't be anything new on the lung issue for a couple months -- maybe longer. Eventually, I hope to share the results of the surgery here on the forum. Below, is what I've able to research thus far.

This was sent to me by a friend of mine…. The problem is called diaphragmatic paralysis.
    Medscape: Medscape Access

So here’s the treatment. Not so bad. (the choice of music is bad)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6oyRkNAJ1A

The actual procedure…. Doesn't look bad at all....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2p1OU845G4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope all goes well, my friend!! Check in when you can...
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vdub, best of luck with everything... I've been praying for you too... Man, its one very long list... Debra...
    Live,love,and laugh...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck vdub. I will be praying that the operation is successful and you will be well enough to take your car for a long ride come spring and Take care and post when you are able. Oh and you can whine anytime....

The webinar from VF was today about the lungs and I forgot and missed it
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the explanation, and the links I haven't looked at yet, but will. I'm glad you know when to take a step back away from explaining all this to everyone and get into your own personal system for dealing with it on your own. You sound fairly optimistic, and I hope things well go as well as possible. We will look forward to hearing about it when you are ready to tell about it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast