Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Predreduce & Muscle Cramps & Methocarbamol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I also get cramps in my fingers and have no solution for those.
    Lorzone. I had no side effects just near instant relief. One pill lasted for days if the cramps were minor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Lorzone. I had no side effects just near instant relief. One pill lasted for days if the cramps were minor.
    Great! I'll have to check that out.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I went out and bought a bottle of 99mg. pills of "multi source" potassium, as Pete suggested. Vegetarian formula, and it says to take 1 tablet a day preferably with a meal and a full glass of water. But the label says a dose is only 3% of the Daily Value. I sort of wonder what's up with that. But I will give it a shot.

Looked up Lorzone briefly and it said not to take it if you have liver disease. I don't, but I do take MTX, which can contribute to liver problems over the years, so I wonder.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a dose is only 3% of the Daily Value. I sort of wonder what's up with that. But I will give it a shot.

Looked up Lorzone briefly and it said not to take it if you have liver disease. I don't, but I do take MTX, which can contribute to liver problems over the years, so I wonder.
    Today I finally got assigned a primary care doctor with the VA who actually takes appointments, got an appointment scheduled and it's only a few weeks away. It has only taken since April to get to this point but at least it's a start on getting health care. This issue goes on my list for him.

The 99mg - 3% daily thing is claimed to be the limit before causing stomach issues.
    Last edited by Birdie; 10-20-2015 at 07:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just googled m.zostavax.com: Shingles vaccine contains weakened chickenpox virus. It is not recommended for those with weakened immune systems or taking high-dose steroids.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Today I finally got assigned a primary care doctor with the VA who actually takes appointments, got an appointment scheduled and it's only a few weeks away. It has only taken since April to get to this point but at least it's a start on getting health care. This issue goes on my list for him.

The 99mg - 3% daily thing is claimed to be the limit before causing stomach issues.
    Glad you got an appt. Yeah, I did some research on the 99mg. potassium and saw the problems with the pill at more than 3% of RDA, but it makes me wonder how much good it really does at that low amount compared to what we are supposed to be getting from foods. So I'll keep eating bananas and find out what the other foods are.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a good link on potassium with a list of foods that are high in it.
    Potassium Food Sources, Benefits, Deficiencies, and More
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To take in just the average daily recommended amount of potassium (4700mg) you would have to eat more than 10 bananas each day. So if you want to believe in that myth, get to peeling...lots of peeling, and this, more than likely, would be in vain...nonsensical. Too many variables with cramps, but you can bet it is not completely a lack of potassium, which is nonsense, but a combination of things like a lack of magnesium, calcium, and other minerals. Also it could be ergonomics, staying in a certain position for too long, various medications, lack of blood flow, being inactive, lack of stretching and conditioning, being dehydrated and the list goes on and on.

I asked by Doc about it, he said the most important nutrient missing when you have cramps is water. Next he said it would be magnesium, and he said if you want more potassium eat these foods:
    Acorn squash - 896 mg of potassium (more than twice as much as a banana); baked potato with skin - 844 mg (2X a banana); spinach (cooked) - 838; lentils - 731; kidney beans - 713; split peas - 710, white navy beans - 669; butternut squash - 583; watermelon - 560; raisins (1/2 cup) - 553; yogurt (1 cup low fat - plain) -531; orange juice (1 cup) - 503; Brussels sprouts - 494; and zucchini - 456 of potassium.

Last edited by Bing505z; 11-30-2015 at 08:40 AM.

Bing505z is offline Banned for being a douchebag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But the label says a dose is only 3% of the Daily Value. I sort of wonder what's up with that.
    They want your money...that's whats up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bing505z View Post
    They want your money...that's whats up
    But they are only recommending one tablet a day, which is not going to add up to a lot of money, over time. Others have given reasons why more than that in pill form would be harmful and that is the standard listed dose regardless of brand. I have NOT been using the pills, though, as I quickly realized they didn't make a lot of sense, and that the dietary method was the way to go. So I guess they did get my money in the original purchase, which was maybe around $3, but won't be getting it again.

I have discovered banana chips as a good snack and don't know how many bananas per day I'm ending up eating, though I'm sure it's less than 10, but I certainly prefer it to sitting there peeling banana after banana. Also, I've recently been eating a couple of baked potatoes a day, along with the skins, so am glad you pointed out how high they are in potassium. There's a lot of fresh squash right now, too, at the farmers markets and such. I haven't been going about it in a super organized way, but it is a great idea to keep these lists on hand, the one you posted and the one I linked to, and keep them in mind every day. No doubt, most people are unaware of these facts and really need to be educated on how to eat for potassium content.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast