Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Azathioprine

Hi

Have just finished my first course of Cyclophosphamide and have been told that I am to take Azathioprine daily for the next couple of years as long as blood tests confirm i can.
    Is anyone else taking this and is the side effects as bad as the cyclophosphamide as I'm having a pretty rough time at the mo?

Look forward to hearing from you

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Azathioprine/Imuran is usually better tolerated than Cyclo. It's less aggressive and, I think, the most popular 'post-cyclo' drug. I've been taking it for three years without adverse affects. No hair loss, nausea etc.

Be aware that some people have reactions to it but it doesn't seem to be a common thing.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Azathioprine (Imuaran)

My Doc has me on Somac(pantoprazole) to protect my gut from the medications - I take one a day in the morning with my one dose of prednisolone. Maybe that would help your nausea. I have had no problems that I can attribute to Imuran . I was offered anti depressants but declined - I do meditate regularly - fabulous help - see my intro and I decided that I would do a bit of counselling for the first time in my life.
    Regards
    Carol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been taking daily Imuran for several years and find it to be no big deal at all. My only side effect is a lack of energy, but that's nothing a Red Bull and some push ups can't cure.

I honestly think I'll take Imuran everyday for the rest of my life -- and that is just fine with me.

Still, some have more side effects and it is really important to know your body.

To me, the best daily medicine is 8 hours of good sleep. Oh, and get yourself two pug dogs -- they are the best motivation in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smithosity View Post
    To me, the best daily medicine is 8 hours of good sleep. Oh, and get yourself two pug dogs -- they are the best motivation in the world.
    Ditto on the sleep, although I do best on about 6 hours, maybe 7. Wholeheartedly agree about dogs and pets in general. They are very therapeutic! I have a Mini Fox Terrier and two German Shepherds. They are great fun. The youngest (3.5 yo German Shepherd) brings out the 'inner puppy' in the other two. Makes for a good laugh when you're feeling down - and when you're not
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on Azathioprine for over ten years until my transplant in 2000. I loved it. No side effects and seemed to do a good job.