User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone dealt with weird neuropathy in the foot

Val1227 Guest

Default Has anyone dealt with weird neuropathy in the foot

Hi everyone -- I have a new symptom for the past 2 weeks -- calling my rheumy tomorrow... I have the feeling of cotton, or a bunched-up sock, or swelling under my 4th and 5th toes on the right foot -- there is nothing there! just a feeling of a blob of something. Is that neuropathy? No pain at all, no tingling - just a phantom feeling of something there...

Thanks....

Valerie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to say. Are your toes bunched up together at all or do they feel like it? I have some neuropathy which has gotten better but the toes seem the last to recover, if they ever will. I also have the problem of bunions and the related bone misalignments with the big toe pointing in and all the toes sort of bunching together. Between that and the neuropathy, I get cramps in my calves that radiate up from the toes and feet. I have sandals that separate the toes, and similar devices. The worst is at night when I'm trying to sleep. I recently found great relief from putting on special socks with toe separators; this relieved the cramps almost immediately. Your scenario sounds a little different, but you might try some kind of toe separation to see if it helps with the circulation or whatever problems might be related. You could even put large cotton balls between your toes or invent some other toe-separation remedy to see if it helps.... another one would be threading a nylon stocking between the toes and separating them that way. I would also try some foot soaking in epsom salts and foot massage. I hope someone else has some ideas, as well!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neuropathy can cause a lot of different sensations: burning, itching, being stuck with pins or a hot nail, having ten pair of socks on your feet, feeling your feet are asleep and won't wake up, having your feet feel they are wooden or concrete, stabbing sensations, and many more. As the nerves die off a loss of movement can occur. The tendons often seem to shrink or shorten too so the toes might curl up or lose the ability to curl them down. Your feet also tend to spread out as we age too creating a need for larger shoes. This might also be worse and related to other problems with tendons from our meds or illness. Cramps are also a common problem among many people with Wegs and probably med related too. A podiatrist can best assess your symptoms and advise you.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Val1227 Guest

Hi Anne, no my toes look completely normal --they just feel weird! Thank you for your answer - Valerie

Val1227 Guest

Hi DRZ, thank you for your response...I don't have any pain, but it sounds like neuropathy to me... Calling the doctor---- thanks for your advice
    valerie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Val1227 View Post
    Hi Anne, no my toes look completely normal --they just feel weird! Thank you for your answer - Valerie
    Well, I'm glad for that. You apparently have none of the bunion-related issues I have, which I would still have without the neuropathy. But I do think the feelings you are having sound like neuropathy and anything that would increase circulation in the area, possibly including toe-separation, might help. I think there are people on here who are prescribed meds for neuropathy, as well. I hope this issue will resolve for you as you get further into the recovery process.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My neuropothy has subsided a lot, but is still there every day. I just had some balance tests as part of a physical therapy regime to get my foot function to a better place.

So don't take it lightly, get after it. Mine was diagnosed with an electro-nerve test by a neurologist.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valerie, I was just noticing lying in bed last night that I have that same symptom as you do, like a clump of something, or a bunched up sock, right under the 4th and 5th toes! There is other tingling nearby, occasional stabs of pain, and the cramping I mentioned, but all of that was a lot quieter last night, to the point that I could really feel that "clump", and it must be the same thing, neuropathy. I can even feel it in my left foot right now as I sit here. If these things are mild to moderate, they can be ignored, but if bothersome, I think some foot soaking and massage would provide some relief. As Mike says, if it is affecting your balance, a visit with a neurologist and physical therapist would be a great idea.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Val1227 Guest

Default Neuropathy in the foot

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Valerie, I was just noticing lying in bed last night that I have that same symptom as you do, like a clump of something, or a bunched up sock, right under the 4th and 5th toes! There is other tingling nearby, occasional stabs of pain, and the cramping I mentioned, but all of that was a lot quieter last night, to the point that I could really feel that "clump", and it must be the same thing, neuropathy. I can even feel it in my left foot right now as I sit here. If these things are mild to moderate, they can be ignored, but if bothersome, I think some foot soaking and massage would provide some relief. As Mike says, if it is affecting your balance, a visit with a neurologist and physical therapist would be a great idea.

Thanks, it is great to read that I am not the only one with this crazy symptom!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike I have a question for you..whenever I am riding on the back of the motorcycle,after awhile my left foot starts going numb then all the way up to my knee. By the time we get off the bike my leg is completely numb and I can barely stand on it let alone walk. Does this ever happen to you ? Would this be considered neuropathy ?
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast