User Tag List

Likes Likes:  44
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Chronic sinus infections, bronchitis, and nasal rinses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Grossan Hydro Pulse machine died this summer so I went back to the squeeze bottle till I got a new Sinus Pulse machine which is similar in function. One difference i noticed is the Sinus Pulse holds a bit more water but empties quicker and is more just like a steady stream. The Hydro Pulse had a stronger pulse and rinses lasted a bit longer. But they both do similar things of running water up your nose and through the sinus areas.

I had not noticed a big problems in my sinus rinses this summer but when i went to my dentist about pain on top right side while chewing, he informed me I had a sinus inflammation. Nothing in the rinses looked like the gunk i had early this year when I knew i had infection in my sinuses so I was skeptical about taking the Clindamycin antibiotic but decided to take it after consulting with my pharmacist and the pain went away rather quickly. An ENT doctor said the antibiotic sometimes help settle down an irritation or inflammation. I had no other pain in my sinus areas, just when I chewed or put pressure on the top back teeth.

The ironic thing is that while searching for a problem in my teeth the dentist did discover a problem that required a new crown even though it was not causing any pain or problem for me yet.

So now my nasal passages seem to still be open most of the time after my morning rinse to clean out the gunk from the night sleep. Usually there is no blood or big boogers, just mucous. I rinse every morning and some times in evening too if sense any blockage.

Summer is ending and cooler weather will bring on the dry winter season. I have had sinus infections and bronchitis every winter for the past four years. They usually last from a few weeks to a few months and are probably related to low humidity and the increased indoor activities to help spread colds and infections around. But maybe I will get lucky this year and not have the usual problems. Last winter I also developed an allergy to my go to med of Azithromycin which might make treatment more difficult.
    Last edited by drz; 09-13-2015 at 01:31 AM.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Sinus Pulse machine also died after a few months. The reviews indicate both the Sinus Pulse and Hydro Pulse have both records for durability and aren't real cheap either at 80$ each so i wonder if there is any better made sinus rinse machines on the market that might last longer than a few months. I think the machines do a a better job than the squeeze bottles so I would prefer them but hate to have to replace them every 4 or 5 months. My old Grossan Hydro Pulse lasted several years but it wasn't made in China and cost a lot more when I bought it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have either of you had any surgery on your sinuses to open the air channels? Mike or drz?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Have either of you had any surgery on your sinuses to open the air channels? Mike or drz?
    NO, I haven't. Just the usual probes to peek up the nose. Some MRI's to check for infections also suggested probable infections in the sinus areas.

I was looking at buying a new sinus rinse machine and noticed they listed a two year warranty on the Sinus Pulse. I checked an mine was delivered Aug 6th so I contacted the company by internet message and they called me back in a few hours. It was some one who was involved with Water PIk machines when they came up with the idea to build a special machine for sinus rinses and then they developed the Grossan Hydro Pulse. later some problems developed for them working with Grossan's family, he is still alive and in his 90's, so they started developing the Sinus Pulse machines. The have made some improvements over the years.

I found out by doing the tests he suggested that my machine might still be working but maybe my GFI protection outlet in the bathroom is defective so I will get that replaced since it worked on outlets in other rooms but I can't used it in the hall way very easily, but can use an extension cord to use it in the bathroom till I get a new outlet. If the machine malfunctions again, they will replace it.

I also learned what the atomizer extension is for, like spraying an antibiotic into the nasal areas. He said Johnson Baby Shampoo also seems to have some properties to retard bacteria and fungus. There are other solutions one can buy to add to the rinse container to help stop infections. He said only 3 or 4 oz is needed for this purpose. Some holistic alternatives are often used too by users. This was good information to learn. I hope by adding these to my rinse routine that I might get through a winter without getting bronchitis and sinus infections.

What have others found helpful?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz, Did he say to put baby shampoo in your machine ???? Wouldn't you be blowing out bubbles
    I am the same way now with the furnace running, my nose is real dry.I have a tube of saline nasal cream that keeps it moist but haven't used it yet.Wasn't Mike and Phil using the water pik thing for rinses? I don't think I would be wanting to use to much antibiotics in my nose but I am against those unless ABSOLUTELY needed.
    I say all of us should go rent a big house in Fl. for the winter and and get out of this crap.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I say all of us should go rent a big house in Fl. for the winter and and get out of this crap.
    Only a crazy person would leave Arizona for Florida.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Then you need to get your strength up so you can play golf with Dirty Don.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drz, Did he say to put baby shampoo in your machine ???? Wouldn't you be blowing out bubbles
    I am the same way now with the furnace running, my nose is real dry.I have a tube of saline nasal cream that keeps it moist but haven't used it yet.Wasn't Mike and Phil using the water pik thing for rinses? I don't think I would be wanting to use to much antibiotics in my nose but I am against those unless ABSOLUTELY needed.
    Nice thought. We could get together for a warm weather break from winter. We have our first freezing days for this Fall and it is hard to adjust to the change. We know that in a month or two we would consider 15 F a nice warm day but today it feels cold.

I did use a small squirt of Baby shampoo and and a few drops of peroxide last winter in my frequent rinses and I think that is what finally cleared up my sinus infections and bloody rinses. it does bubble up when i rinse the machine afterward but it doesn't come out as bubbles during the rinses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    I forgot you were in Arizona with Don...the only thing bad about it there,is that there is no ocean. But in a pinch Arizona would work for the winter...........got in extra room for a crazy lady !!!!!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot you were in Arizona with Don...the only thing bad about it there,is that there is no ocean. But in a pinch Arizona would work for the winter...........got in extra room for a crazy lady !!!!!
    Got three extra bedrooms, empty, no furniture, no stuff, just rooms.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast