User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Could MRSA be responsible for AAV?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know one reputable source that says colloidal silver would be useful- mrtmeo.
    We mostly talk about conventional medicine here. And for good reason I think. Some of us here have long and extensive history with alternative medicine and know that there are few applications of it that are relevant to the treatment of a WG patient.
    The other thing is that alternative medicine is by nature a massive mine field of quackery. The problem is that among the mines are pockets of gold. So, some of us end up wandering out into the mine field...

Quackwatch looks like a useful site but are they some kind of final authority to destroy quackery? A cursory look suggests they are not to me.

Of acupuncture they have some hit pieces but do not do a good job of taking a look at it- in my opinion.
    They also attack chiropractic.

I have a long and deep experience of my own with acupuncture and it is not quackery. Neither is chiropractic and Quackwatch does a poor job of looking at that.

Is there quackery within these fields? Most certainly. Why does Quackwatch not have more pieces on quackery in conventional medicine? Trust me, it runs quite rampant there as well. Has Quackwatch done any work on quackery in conventional treatment of cancer? I think they could find large amounts of quackery there and really good treatments in alternative medicine that they are currently labeling quackery. Quackwatch targets alternative medicine and not quackery in general. Why?

I am not saying there is not useful information on Quackwatch because I think there is. But as in all my use of conventional medicine and of alternative medicine the onus falls on me to determine what is useable and what is not in my best interest.

In just a quick search I found that Quackwatch makes fun of Edgar Cayce's claim about how the physician of the future will be able to diagnose from one drop of blood : Edgar Cayce, America's most prolific psychic, said, 'The physician of the future, from one drop of blood, will tell everything.' Acupuncture has been using the hologram in the ear. Reflexologists have been using the foot and palm. Palmistry has been around for centuries. Why not the blood?

Quackwatch needs to update their information. It turns out that blood is kind of a useful diagnostic tool. They make is sound like quackery. Cayce was pointing this out in the 1930's --
    http://www.wired.com/2014/11/device-diagnoses-hundreds-diseases-using-single-drop-blood/

I think their coverage of that subject amounts to... quackery. It took me less than five minutes to find quackery on Quackwatch.

So , back to the question of finding reputable sources on colloidal silver. I feel your pain.
    Of course, my example of mrtmeo is quite limited in usefulness for most of us. I gave myself a headache trying to find out the 'truth' about colloidal silver just recently. There is in fact wide spread quackery around this subject but I am not quite ready to throw out the baby with the colloidal silver water.
    I like hearing direct stories from people that I know even somewhat like mrtmeo.

I could write a book about what chiropractic and acupuncture have done for me. My testimonial is of limited use to other people other than to possibly keep an open mind. I GUARANTEE you that my life would be filled with profound suffering if not for chiropractic. My University doctor says of chiropractic "There is no scientific basis for it, although they do seem to have some success at times"

Ok. He wanted to give me pain pills- which do not address the root cause of my back problem. My chiropractor has kept me pain free and PILL free for several decades. Who is the quack in this scenario?

Argyria is rare and its primary cause is not doing proper personal research before using silver. People abuse prescription meds to a massive degree - does quackwatch take a look at that? Doctors push these meds- does quackwatch take a look at that?

Just some food for thought. I love the discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mrtmeo View Post
    Hi me2,
    I believe staph becomes mrsa, so any staph infection is dangerous.

I have heard of some breaking open a pure probiotic capsule and putting that in their neti pot replacing the natural flora in their sinuses that have been killed off by antibiotics.

Let us know how it goes with the iodine or what natural things you find that work.
    Interesting idea on the pro-biotics for the sinus. Good bug / bad bug gut science is still learning a lot. I remember when it was laughed at and vilified. The risk is almost non-existent compared to the gain. I like those odds.

I will give a report when I try the iodine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Interesting idea on the pro-biotics for the sinus. Good bug / bad bug gut science is still learning a lot. I remember when it was laughed at and vilified. The risk is almost non-existent compared to the gain. I like those odds.

I will give a report when I try the iodine.
    How about the story of ignaz semmelweis?
    He was attacked and then murdered because of his demand that all doctors wash their hands which he proved to dramatically, reduce sepsis at childbirth.
    The Doctor Who Championed Hand-Washing And Briefly Saved Lives : Shots - Health News : NPR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, fascinating story about semmelweis. Hand washing is still the biggest single breakthrough in medical history.
    I'm sorry he lost his job and got beaten up for it. Thank you Semmelweis- where ever you are...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, me2,
    Theranos has the technology to do 30 blood tests from one drop of blood and is coming to a Walgreens near you soon.
    https://www.theranos.com/our-centers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more interesting info on Staphylococcus aureus's connection with autoimmune diseases, including GPA.
    Staph expresses a protein called staphylococcal enterotoxin B
    Exposure To Staph Bacteria Could Lead To Lupus - Medical News Today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a study using IVIG to erradicate MRSA, since so many strains are resistant to antibiotics.

Assessment of the efficacy of polyclonal intravenous immunoglobulin... - PubMed - NCBI

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know when I had sinus surgery a few months ago I was really in a bind because my sinuses were structurally so bad and so scarred from decades of WG that they could not fight infection. I had infection so bad that continuous use of antibiotics was barely keeping it at bay.
    I felt very lucky that my WG was finally under control enough that they could go in and fix the structures somewhat.

My sinuses have been the best they have been in many years.

My point in babbeling about this is that when they did the surgery they told me to stop antibiotics a few days before the surgery so they could get a good culture during the surgery. As luck would have it my sinuses were so bad that I could not stop antibiotics without tremendous pain. So the doc said it was ok to keep using them right up until surgery.

So after the surgery the culture came back as Staph. No big surprise there for a Weggie. But here is my question.

We know for a fact, from studies, that Staph can cause WG relapse. This is one reason why many people take Bactrim prophilactically.

I think that I had Staph living in there for a LONG time and I suspect that even if it did not cause outright relapse it probably aggravated my condition.

So, I promised a question, LOL, I wonder if in the future it should become common practice for Weggies with sinus involvement (which is almost all of us) to use Iodine rinse on some sort of schedule to NUKE the Staph buggies that are probably living in there?

I'm trying to think of a down side to this idea and I can't come up with one. I'd like to hear other peoples thoughts on this if they are so inclined.

I will definately pitch this idea to my wonderful ENT that did my surgery. He is really good and creative minded.
    I know he would give this idea some serious thought before just dismissing it.

So, my preliminary report on using iodine- I like it. I am being very conservative and upping the concentration slowly.
    Also, I am not using distilled water. I hope my ordinary good, clean, well water is not contraindicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an interesting article about using IVIG for MRSA. I had IVIG many years ago as a last ditch treatment. I did not get dramatic results. Although, I am still here , so who knows?

I do remember researching IVIG before getting it and being surprised that to a great degree they don't understand how it works.

I see in the MRSA article that they are saying the same thing. Weird that it only worked for MRSA when used at the site of infection and they are not really sure why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thoughts are that I'd be glad to try iodine in my sinus rinse, just on the chance that there is some staph lurking in my nasal cavity that needs to be zapped. Since my sinus pockets are gone due to erosion, and the remaining tissues are well healed, miraculously enough, I have very few issues in there and have been told by the ENT that I won't be subject to infections. But there is still mucus collecting in there, albeit a lot less than before, and I don't see why some insidious bacteria wouldn't collect as well. I'll have to look back earlier in the thread to see the specific brand of iodine that was recommended. Apparently, just any old iodine would not be such a good idea....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast