Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rant - Cleveland Clinic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rant - Cleveland Clinic

I was scheduled to have a chest CT and a Methacholine Challenge test today. In order to have the tests I had to be off some of my meds for several days and my most important meds since last night. I had a MISERABLE night. Very tight and short of breath. The tests were scheduled for 2 pm today. Well - today financial called to let me know they have not received approval from my insurance. Upon investigation, it looks like the doctor's office neglected to put in a request for approval. Meanwhile, I have been in Ohio since July 17. I was not able to get an appt till August 19, which was ok with me, since I was here for the birth of my granddaughter, and I wanted a specific doctor. But meanwhile my life is going to be on hold for who knows how long now. Not to mention I will have to go through the whole medicine discontinuation again.

I just called the doctor's office. It is three hours before the test and it takes an hour to get there. The assistant said he would get back to me asap. I feel that they should just suck up the charges - but I know that will not happen. So, we are going home this weekend and I will have to make the 6 hour trip all over again. It will be fun to see even more of our precious granddaughter - but it would be nice for life to go back to normal. To top it all off my husband broke his collarbone and his right arm is immobilized, making it impossible for him to do much. And I am sure my daughter would love to have her pretty baby room back! It is covered with our junk for a long term stay. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jacquie. It seems like more and more we are at the mercy of bureaucracy, inefficiency and lack of attention to detail, at the hands of all kinds of entities that are more powerful than we are. I'm glad you ranted, and wish there was something that could be done about it all.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am really angry about this. I am just glad that I have a good excuse to come back to Cleveland to see my family. But wouldn't you think they would have been extra careful for someone who has to make a 6 hour trip to get there! No one has called back, so I called the labs to make sure the appts were cancelled and that I will not be charged a penalty for missing them. Thanks for your sympathetic words. And you are sure right about being at the mercy of bureaucracy!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't blame you at all for being very angry. I am angry lately, too, about the shortcomings, general sloppiness, and lack of caring of different companies, etc., that I have to deal with. But nothing that involves a 6 hour trip! I, too, am glad your granddaughter is another reason for the trip. Otherwise, I'd think you might be tempted to just cancel the whole thing and try to get the same tests closer to where you live. In the old days, whenever those were, you'd have gotten a lot more concern for your situation, I'd think. I think a letter to the doctor and/or someone high up the ladder at CC might be in order. His staff should be reprimanded for their oversight and you should certainly get some consideration for having to go through all this. Best wishes to Bob, too, on the healing of his collarbone!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's unacceptable! I work in billing for a provider, and this should have been done long beforehand. You may want to call and speak to the Patient Advocate about this. I know it doesn't help today, but they may be able to get you in earlier than just calling the regular scheduling departments. They also need to know what happened in the billing office. And most importantly, they should know that with you discontinuing your meds, this has now become a patient safety issue. Meaning, you had health problems because of the prep work for this and now you need to do this again.

Something else to consider is calling your insurance company directly before discontinuing your medications next time. That way, if they have negelcted to get an authorization/certification for the procedures, you'd know before you stopped your meds. They should have taken care of this, but better safe than sorry - especially since it's happened once!

Just my two cents...

Jen
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

http://www.sensinganenemy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Jen! This is good advice. I certainly will verify coverage directly with my insurance myself next time. I DID email the doctor so he knew that I just did not skip out on the appointments. The financial person evidently called me on Friday. i was on the road and had low cell phone reception and the message didn't work either. I called her back and left a message. I then left 4 more messages on Monday and Tuesday. She called at 8:15 on Tuesday and again did not leave a message. SO frustrating. But hopefully I will get it settled. The one bright spot is that it is great to have an excuse to see more of our granddaughter than we thought we would! Thanks again. I will definitely follow your advice!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I have learned that most people can't be relied on to do what they are supposed to do or say they will do. For whatever reason, mostly unintentional, things just don't get done. So I follow-up on everything. Not to the point of being a pest, but I certainly keep my issue in the top basket.

Fortunately, on pre-auth's, I can monitor the progress on-line. I'm on TriCare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, we are home right now facing a new set of challenges. I emailed the doctor about my displeasure and he apologized and promised to get it all worked out before scheduling the tests again. Thanks everyone for your responses, and I will as per Vdub and Jen - be SURE to check on the progress frequently. I did find out that I DO need to continue my allergy medicine AND my Singulair. I had questioned their value prior to this. I am still not doing well - but should be able to get back on my feet soon. Now my biggest issue is my mother-in-law who has fallen and needs constant attention. We will be relieving my husband's brother, who is dealing with this every day for at least this week. Although she is mentally competent, she has NO UNDERSTANDING that both her children are now in their 70s and not as able to cope with things as well. She is endlessly demanding. My poor brother in law has Parkinson's and a wife with disabling COPD, and he is having to go to his mothers all day and make her meals for her. We will do that through next weekend to give him a break. I was there for two hours. She is always cold, so the house temperature is about 82 and humid.,,,and she is wearing a heavy WOOL cardigan. I was in severe breathing trouble within and hour of being there, as heat, humidity are my worst enemies. We will bring food tonight and eat on the porch while she eats inside. I will be looking into getting additional home health aides to deal with the situation as Bob and I go back to Ohio to pursue medical treatment for my asthma problems and his broken bone issues. Ahhh. Life is never easy!!

Again - thanks to all for the sympathy and great ideas. LOVE this forum SO MUCH!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We love you, too, Jacquie, and I always look forward to your updates. I'm sorry you don't have more good stuff to report, though. I'm glad the doc apologized and am now assuming you won't be charged for those missed appointments. I'm sorry for what your mother in law is going through and the effect it has on all of you. And I wish you yourself were feeling better! Here's hoping that all the current problems get sorted out so you can make your trip back to Cleveland without any anxiety, both get your medical issues dealt with, and see your adorable granddaughter again.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since you are in Rochester, have you considered going to Mayo? They are the ones who gave me my first DX and then UofU did the confirmation. Sure would be easier to drive across town instead of going to Cleveland.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast