Thread: Now Imuran ?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Now Imuran ?????

Hi all,
    Since April I've been on MTX (taken off due to side effects), then on CellCept. My Dr. took me off of the CellCept yesterday due to continuing "stomach issues". Tomorrow I start Imuran. Is this "normal", to not tolerate these drugs and switch from 1 to another?? Also, now I'm very anxious about starting yet another new drug, can anyone offer advice, suggestions, their experiences...for Imuran. I appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    Deb H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thru reading it seems pretty normal for people to be switched around on these drugs till they find one that's easiest tolerated. I too will be starting Imuran soon, hope it works out good. My Renal Guy says its good, but I bet he's never taken it...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mtx made me nauseous and had loss of hair. I feel well on imuran. btw-I heard that they are working on a new mtx (trying to make it with less side effects) good luck!!
    I am a strong person, but every now and then I also need someone to take my hand & say everything will be alright....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debhaz22 View Post
    Hi all,
    Since April I've been on MTX (taken off due to side effects), then on CellCept. My Dr. took me off of the CellCept yesterday due to continuing "stomach issues". Tomorrow I start Imuran. Is this "normal", to not tolerate these drugs and switch from 1 to another?? Also, now I'm very anxious about starting yet another new drug, can anyone offer advice, suggestions, their experiences...for Imuran. I appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    Deb H.
    Did they test you for the enzyme to be sure you can metabolize azathioprine OK? Some people can't so they won't tolerate Imuran.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Methotrexate gave me stomach problems for a few weeks and I had some hair loss. I initially used folic acid to to treat the side effects but switched to leucovorin which solved the hair loss. Not sure if the stomach problems were a matter of slowly taking more over a period of weeks or my body adjusting to it. It helped me to take it after dinner and I would sleep through the worst of the stomach symptoms. I know methotrexate is the best thing for me right now but I'm curious about other options. It's always good to know what's out there.

I hope the imuran treats you well. Keep us updated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the replies.
    Yes, he ran the blood test last month for the gene to see if I can be on Imuran. I guess I can!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on Imuran for a couple years now. I also didn't tolerate MTX due to liver issues. Imuran is pretty easy on my system, my only concern has been that I think I am less suppressed on this than I was on MTX, but I seriously don't think that is a remotely scientific observation.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took cytoxan and when Doc tried to change to Imuran, I couldn't tolerate it so it was back to Cyclo.
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Dale,
    what happened when you "couldn't tolerate it"?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started on prednisone and methotrexate and saw some progress but moved to Imuran 175mg daily. I have had no side effects and feel much better than the couple of days after taking the weekly methotrexate. I still haven't reached remission after 10 months so I am going to start Rituxan this month. Some people have intestinal issues on Imuran and you should know pretty quickly whether you will tolerate the meds. or not.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast