Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad breath

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default bad breath

Hi all, just wondering if anyone else suffers with bad breath. In my case I have stenosis in my trachea and the symptoms are the same as in my nose - crusting etc. It makes me very conscious when I have to get close to anyone because I know that they can smell it. Tried all the obvious things like mouthwash etc but hygienist assures me that problem is not in my mouth but more likely coming from trachea. Any tips or ideas would be welcome?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want to welcome you to the forum, Kazza.
    I dont know much about tracheal stenosis, thankfuly I dont have it. so I dont have any suggestions. sorry. I understand that the smell might be an embarrassing issue. do you have any feedback from someone else about it, or is it only your feeling/sensing ?
    If and when you will feel like, you are invited to tell us more about you, where are you coming from, how long do you have WG, what meds are you taking, and whatever you want to share.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kazza, welcome! I have sub glottic stenosis but am not as familiar with tracheal. I just wanted to mention liquid chlorophyll because it's a natural breath freshened that is supposed to help breath 'from the inside'. You can buy t at health food / vitamin stores and it has no flavour so you can add it to your water or other drink. It might be worth a try? As Alysia said, please feel free to share your story.
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Hi Kazza...I sometimes have bad breath and all the time have dry mouth. I chew a lot of Mentos gum for both. Not sure what causes bad breath. Some Meds can cause dry mouth...however, I experienced this before I was diagnosed. One day I realized I had no saliva. Could not eat breads, crackers, meats, etc. What little I did eat had to be very moist. If I don't have something in my mouth most of the time my lips stick together, tongue sticks and very difficult to swallow until I drink something.
    Sinus drainage can also cause bad breath. Hope someone else can give you some more or better info.
    Beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Kazza. Just wanted to say welcome to a great group. Hope you will come here and feel free to share ANYTHING whenever you need help. Who else could relate more. Someone is bound to have the same problem and will hopefully share with you.

This page lists some treatments, althouh the toothpaste seems to be chemically based, so I'd check with a doctor for drug interactions. I also wonder if a pharmacist might have some thoughts...
    http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/halitosis

Again....Welcome!!
    Last edited by BookNut; 06-15-2014 at 12:46 PM.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I just wanted to point out to a couple of you that kazza joined the forum in May 2012. It says so in the upper right corner of the post. Not everyone who joins posts a lot, so we may think they are new when they aren't.

Otherwise, the subject of bad breath is an interesting one and thanks for the suggestions given so far and those to come. I don't have stenosis, but do have the sinus drainage, and if I had bad breath it's likely I wouldn't know it, since I can't smell anything. So some of these things like the liquid chlorophyll might be good to use as a preventative as much as anything.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    Hi Kazza...I sometimes have bad breath and all the time have dry mouth. I chew a lot of Mentos gum for both. Not sure what causes bad breath. Some Meds can cause dry mouth...however, I experienced this before I was diagnosed. One day I realized I had no saliva. Could not eat breads, crackers, meats, etc. What little I did eat had to be very moist. If I don't have something in my mouth most of the time my lips stick together, tongue sticks and very difficult to swallow until I drink something.
    Sinus drainage can also cause bad breath. Hope someone else can give you some more or better info.
    Beverly
    Beverly have any of your docs ever suggested Sjögren's syndrome? It causes those symptoms and is autoimmune. All of these things seem to overlap...
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, she became a butterfly.
    - English proverb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Hey, I just wanted to point out to a couple of you that kazza joined the forum in May 2012. It says so in the upper right corner of the post. Not everyone who joins posts a lot, so we may think they are new when they aren't.

Otherwise, the subject of bad breath is an interesting one and thanks for the suggestions given so far and those to come. I don't have stenosis, but do have the sinus drainage, and if I had bad breath it's likely I wouldn't know it, since I can't smell anything. So some of these things like the liquid chlorophyll might be good to use as a preventative as much as anything.
    Whoops!! The tragedy of the librarian who doesn't read!! Sorry Kazza.
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was Kazza's first post though.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    That was Kazza's first post though.
    Guess I could have investigated further. In that case, Kazza is welcomed to tell us all about his or her experience with Wegs from the very beginning!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast