Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Excited to meet you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Excited to meet you!

Hi, my name is Heather, not only new to the forums, but new to wegeners. As I have read and lived.... Our journeys are so long and growing.
    My story (short version), I was a very successful business owner 10 years ago. I wore heels to work every day and one day I said, my knee hurts....
    I don't even know how to tell my story
    soon after I was diagnosed with lupus sle. Put on prednisone and pain pills. Fast forward 10 years and I haven't worked since, gained 150 lbs, list friends, got divorced, lost my home, and I was still in pain, up to 23 medications, and being told I was an anomaly. Nothing made me feel better. I had completely forgotten what normal or good was. I had resolved myself to that life, kept journals for my kids to read because I just wanted to die.
    Im not even sure or dont remember what prompted a change, my dr asked if I had seen my RA dr recently, I said no because not only did my insurance change, but the one I went to was a quack. She said I needed an RA dr. Being on disability, options are slim. She called a dr friend( I found out later) and begged for her to take me on, and she did. I had to drive 30 miles away, but after 10 years, what is 30 miles?
    I saw her soon after and after a review of symptoms she mentions that she wants to test me for wegeners. I had no idea what that was, I didn't even know the meaning of the words she used to explain it. Vasculitis? Never heard of it.
    She is part of a dr specialty group. The doctors actually know and communicate with each other!!!! Omg never heard of that! I didn't know at that point I was the poster child for wegeners. My kidneys were functioning below 50%, in 1 year I had pneumonia 4 times, pertussis, asthma and I was hoarse for over 8 months. I told her I could do party tricks, I had no cartilage left inside my nose, it was all a gaping hole.
    She upped my prednisone to 60mg. I thought that made me feel better. But it didn't relieve my symptoms. After going to all my referral dr appointments she called me 3 times in 1 day. I emailed her back, apologizing for missing an appointment. She called right away and said I do have wegeners and I need to get to 40mg a day of prednisone and 15mg of methotrexate.
    I cried and cried, the more I read on the internet the worse I felt. I already had lupus and it seemed to never go into remission. I cried myself to sleep that night.
    The next day, I felt better, ready to fight it.
    Can you believe this is the short version????
    anyway, after 2 weeks of mtx, I had the strangest and most unfamiliar side effect ever!
    BOREDOM
    i had always felt so bad that after 10 years of sitting in my chair I never got bored. I had a glimpse of what it meant to sit in a chair all day and feel ok.
    i had enough clarity of thought to realize that before I was standing at a brick wall. Even when I thought I felt better, it was nowhere close to good. I just kept putting on a show, I always knew that I hurt, it was so hard, and I was failing, but I thought that was as good as it was going to get.
    lucky me, I have every symptom of prednisone use known to man, I now sport moon face and a buffalo hump. But you know what, I see the light. Mtx has been a blessing. People are saying I am more animated, and the old "Heather". Mind you, I have a 2 year treatment plan and I'm on week 3, but I feel optimistic. Something I lost 10 years ago.
    wow, to write this out is very emotional... Didn't expect that lol.
    Reading all your posts with stories, support and care has made me feel so good, even just as a lurker in the forum.
    That's my short story, I am happy to meet everyone, and look forward to chatting more
    heather
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to meet you Heather, as you already know there are wonderful people here and all in the same boat. Welcome. Where are you getting treatment?
    Dale
    Dx Aug, 2009 Remission June 2010 until 8/1/2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Heather and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad you are no longer a lurker and have decided to tell us your story.

Boredom - you couldn't possibly be bored anymore, there is so much to read on here and such wonderful people to keep you going.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Heather, thanks for sharing your story. I'm so glad that after everything you've been through you've found good treatment and are starting to feel a bit better. I hope thing continue to go only uphill from here! I am fairly new to the forum myself and it's been a godsend thus far! Welcome..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Heather. What a story you have! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure you'll find a lot of help and support on this forum to get you through the next 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Heather, welcome to the best place for you to be now...aside from the doc's office! LOL! Lots of experience, caring, and sharing goes on here...you pick and choose what fits you...we all know WG has a size for everyone!!! Coffffeeeee...anyway, glad to have you onboard: ask, share, and vent...we've all been there, some worse, some less so. Best to you and keep on getting your NEW normal tuned in. I'm on exactly the same dose, was that is. Off pred after 2&1/2 years, and docs talking about reducing mtx this fall! Yea! But, the '2 year plan' does work, approximately. So glad you found a good doc...there are also consults available with experts in the field if you or your doc feel that's necessary. Carry on!!!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to the forum Heather. I ditto what everyone else has already said. You've had an interesting journey to get to this point. Glad you finally got a diagnosis. Sorry it had to be wegs. This is the best place to be however, the support here is tremendous. Keep us posted on your progress and chime in when you feel so inclined.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome aboard, Heather!

Lots of wisdom, empathy, and humor here for you to enjoy. Sounds like your new doc has you in a better place physically and emotionally. Hope it keeps getting better for you.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Heather. Glad your new doc seems to be on the right track!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the family Heather. you have being through so much. long and sad and tough way. you are not alone amymore. you have us with you.
    btw, I am curious about "squiggled" ? (I love the squiggle game).
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast