Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey from Colorado

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hey from Colorado

Hi, I found this website by googleing about Agent Orange ane Wegener's I was shocked to get 3 or 4 responses to my question. As I looked at the site it I realized how informative everyone's storys were so here is mine in the hopes it will help someone else.

I'm 64 years old (yikes), retired and was in great health when I retired at age 60. I am also a Vet with a disability rating so I get my care from the V.A. In Denver CO. In 2011 I was in physical therapy for a consistant pain in my right shoulder, at the time I thought it was because of my horrible golf swing. I also had suffered from ear pressure, mostly in my right ear. I went to the Doc once about the ear pressure and was sent home with three different meds (nose sprays and antibiotics). I was also told to use a nasel spray to help clear up the problems. Several months later I was at physical therapy when my therapist said he wouldn't treat me because I looked to sick and weak. I had been suffering flu like symptons and thought I could handle it and get back on my feet. At his insistance I went down to the ER and got checked out.

An X-ray showed "Diffuse alveolar hemorrhage" or bleeding in the lungs. I was admitted and treated with high doses of steriods a bronchoscopy was done and about 25 viles of blood were taken. This was on December 28 2011, I stayed in for 3 days then was discharged with a follow up appointment for about a week later. Before that appointment I got a call to come in to see a Doctor in Rheumatology...Welcome to Wegener's!

I was put on the standard (according to what I'm reading) drugs Prednisone, folic acid, Ranitidine (for the stomic) and scheduled for an infusion of Rituximab. I was also given Oxygen for home use at this time. By the end of May early June I was in remission and back in the gym and working on that golf swing! At the time I was down to 7.5 of pred. and oh yeah I had been pushed into diabities (They had told me I was boarderline and it was comming anyway) and was on Metformin and NPH insulin, down to about 5 units a day. Basiclly life was pretty much normal (except for the drugs).

Then in August 2012 my world turned upsidedown! I had a couple of eppisodes of severve pain in my feet and then my whole body. Went in to ER and was given pain meds, examined and sent home. I had a follow up visit where they did a biopsy of the ulcers that had formed on my lower legs and concluded it was a wegener's flair. My Pred. was increased and another appointment was scheduled. Before that I lost all feeling in my feet and I couldn't stand up, my feet felt like half inflated beach balls. I went to ER, gotta be truthful here I was scared I would never walk again. The Doc there thought I had Gillians Beret (spelling sorry). Ended up in ICU for 8 days while the docs tried to decide what was happening! It is kind of funny to watch the Rummy guys discuss their theory with the Nurology guys while you lay there wondering what the hell is going on! I stayed in the hospital for about a month then went home with a wheelchair and a walker. I had an infusion of Cytoxin which didn't do anything except make me sick...then another of Rituximab which helped me to move toward remission again. I have great friends that I worked with for 30 years, many of whom are also retired and they were a Godsend. They helped make my house more wheelchair/walker friendly and got me back and forth to Doctor appointments. I was using braces to walk with and because I had no feeling in my feet didn't notice a couple of sores that had developed. Long story short by the time we were treating them they had gotten infected (I had started MTX and my imuine system wasn't helping fight) which ended up in left pinky toe and the bone behind it being amputated as well as the middle toe on my right foot. I also developed a cataract in my right eye from the Prednisone.

OK fast foward to today I finally have healed on both feet and had cataract surgery so I can see! I had hand controls installed in my car and have been driving for about 8 months now. I have been in physical theray and am able to walk with out braces (nothing fancy and I use a cain if I'm venturing out in the world). Recently I have been able to drive using my right foot but still rely on the hand control as a back up!

I think the thing that has helped me the most is the great friends I have and my two kids and ex-wife (who is a good friend) who have been here to support me from day one. One last thing the people at the V.A. have been GREAT, the docs, the nurses, nurses aids, and especally the physical therapists who got me up and walking when I didn't think I could...all just great!

Thanks for the oppurtunity to post my story.

Steve
    From sunny Colorado, well not today it's snowing but tomorrow....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Steve, from sunnier AZ!! LOL! And NO snow!! But...what a story you have. I hope many read it and are impressed, as I am, by your recovery and seemingly great attitude! That's what it takes to cope with WG...good on you. I'm just a year older and a golfer also. I was dxd in Aug '11, 2 weeks in ICU then rehab for another weekish. Has taken me over 2 years to get my swing back. YOU have battled back well! Please ask any and all questions, share more stories/material read, vent when you need, and there's always someone online 24/7. Glad you have a great support system! Best to you.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the site. Wow you do have an interesting story. Nice to know you recovered as well as you did. Wonderful people and a lot of information can be found here. Spend some time in the archives if you haven't already. Hope to hear from you again.
    Last edited by windchime; 04-05-2014 at 12:18 PM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Steve and welcome from even sunnier Australia - see Don, I can say it too

I'm glad you have found us Steve and I look forward to more stories from you. I'm just wondering why you were googling Agent Orange, maybe I have missed a post somewhere. Are you thinking that this is a cause for your WG ?

I have heard many stories similar to yours and we even have a lady in Australia that had two toes amputated when she was in her 20's, due to WG.

You are very fortunate to have such great support and I'm glad things are looking better for you again
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Steve,

Wow, same same but different. It seems to be the case with all of us. So much similarity but with just enough difference to keep the doctors guessing and slowing things down for us.
    I'm glad to see you're on the good side of the hump. Now you know the routine so the beastie will never sneak up on you again. I just wrote another post about vaccines in the military that are causing GWS - a group of autoimmune related symptoms and linked to the adjuvant squalene (Autoimmune Technologies LLC, New Orleans) I am quite certain that this was the trigger for me through the H1N1 vaccine, but I think a few ducks need to be lined up for our particular outcome to manifest. Mine were.

On a more positive note: I'm very happy to hear it's snowing in Colorado. My hubby and I are heading your way next week and while he's working, I'll be shredding a little bit of your pristine slopes with my skis. Breckenridge here we come, bring on the snow. We went for the same conference about 5 years ago, it was Vail then, and it was their last week of operation and I skied thigh deep powder every day. Made myself a little sick because I just couldn't get myself to stop for food or water, the skiing was THAT good. :0 Actually I think the photo on my Weggie Blog front page is from that trip: Weggies Unite

Take care and keep swinging that club!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mmm speaking of sunny places welcome, Steve, from the def sunny Israel
    you bring here great attitude ("sunny" one) and it sounds like you are a fighter and a winner.
    I am glad that the rtx helped you to be back on your feet in all meannings. it is our miraculous med.
    take care and continue to write.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marta,

I hope you skiing trip goes great, I'm not a skier but love it when there is lots of snow in the mountains...it provides the water to keep the golf courses green. It is pretty nice here in the Denver area so while you are up there in the powder I'll be at the driving range for the first time in a couple of years giving it a try!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Alysia I appreciate the kind words, a visit to Isreal is on my list of things to do if medical conditions allow it. I'm a little concerned about travel of great distances because of...well you know! What great history in your part of the world, in spite of the problems over the decades the few people I know who hwave been to Isreal had great things to say about their visit.

Yes rtx is our miraculous drug...I'm going in this Tuesday for the start of another two week series. It's been 5 months since my last infusion so as a precaution we are doing it at 5 months instead of 6. Gotta get loaded up before the start of summer...lots to do!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome from another rider! I've been suffering from PMS for the past 18 months (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome). Had a flare up start last fall, but had a miserable summer trying to find out what the ___ was wrong again. Meds stopped working, so only put 150 miles on the Beemer last year. Looking forward to putting on the 4-5K that I usually ride, just commuting back and forth to work!

Welcome to the group and RIDE SAFE!!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mike, I'm not riding any longer (2007 injury at work) but it is always on my mind. I remember being on a "Vet run" one time an someone asked my why we make these runs. The common answer was "we ride for those who can't", so in that sprit put a few miles on that Beemer for me!

Watch out for the other guy,

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast