Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steroids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by debhaz22 View Post
    Thank you everybody. Here's a dumb question: is Medrol pack, and Prednisone the same thing??

Also, does anyone know if there is alternative to Steroids without the bad side effects (heart pounding and face flushing)?
    Thx
    DebH
    I asked that of my Rheumy the second time around and got a definite "no". Hang in there, the 'roids will do things to you that you will detest, but it is livable.

I would recommend a good book since you haven't been through this before: Coping with Prednisone I thnk it will help you through the journey with the drug we all love to hate.

Hang in there Bulldog! I know you can do it!!!
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mike, it's me "The Bulldog"!
    Thx. Did you have bad side effects from that much steroid?? I had terrible side effects at 24 mg!
    Deb H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I'm going to order it right now.
    Deb H (aka The Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everybody. Here's a dumb question: is Medrol pack, and Prednisone the same thing??

Also, does anyone know if there is alternative to Steroids without the bad side effects (heart pounding and face flushing)?
    Thx
    DebH
    At least when I have gotten them, my PCP has claimed that a Medrol Pack is the same as 5 mg prednisone. I think that they are very similar, but I can't tell if the differences are significant. May be like the difference between advil and aleve. I know that Medrol is a brand name, and sometimes at the pharmacy they switch the two (I've gotten the pack and just the bulk pills, the bulk pills have always been called prednisone, not methylprednisone). Probably doesn't really matter.

Good luck.
    Brett

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brett!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Mike, it's me "The Bulldog"!
    Thx. Did you have bad side effects from that much steroid?? I had terrible side effects at 24 mg!
    Deb H
    Yep, puffed up like the stay-puff marshmallow man from Ghostbusters. Here's a list that i can remember: Fatigue, prednisone acne, muscle cramps in unexpected areas (forearms hurt the worst), moody, sleeplessness, agitation over simple things, heart racing, hot flashes, rapid over-heating doing simple tasks--especially in the summer months, oh and the worst one--INCREASED APPETITE!

Over the 5 years I've been on and off the steroids (major sinus issues prior to diagnosis), I've gained a significant amount of weight. For me, that is the hardest thing to live with right now. I grew up learning and living with horrible eating habits. That, combined with and lack of self control and the prednisone only made it worse. I can't wait to get semi-healthy again so I can start doing something about it. I'm reAlly tired of working from the fat clothes side of my closet.

I think the book will help you. Right now, you don't have much choice in treating this stupid disease, so please don't over-think it and get too worked up right now. Things will change, and it will be aggravating as anything you have ever went through, but you'll get through it.

Oh, and Medrol is the brand name of methylprednisolone or prednisone. Solu-medrol is the liquid version that they use via IV.
    Last edited by MikeG-2012; 03-21-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    MikeG-2012

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh Mike, you've sold me on the Steroids! The side effects sound lovely!!
    BTW: I ordered that book last night that you recommended.
    "The Bulldog"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh Mike, you've sold me on the Steroids! The side effects sound lovely!!
    BTW: I ordered that book last night that you recommended.
    "The Bulldog"
    The book is really good. I got mine last week. I got it used on Amazon for $6 and it included shipping. Came from the UK. That's for those out there that might want to order it. There is a lot of good information in there.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the flip side, Deb, there have been times I have wanted prednisone and actually craved it, because I knew it would help me feel so much better. Some of this was before I knew I had WG, when my ENT would prescribe it for me for sinus infections and allergies. He didn't want me to be on it all the time, though, not knowing I had Wegs and would have to be eventually, so he would sometimes deny it to me in more minor situations, and I can remember more or less begging him for it. For one thing, I had a lot of voice problems from all the mucus in my throat, and pred always cleared them up, so I could actually talk to people! Also, pred can give people a lot of energy and sort of a euphoric feeling as they bustle around getting things done. Everyone is different.

Early in WG treatment, I did not mind being on a lot of pred, but then was also dealing with the side effects of CTX, which were worse, until I got used to it. I did not want to taper from 60mg. as fast as the doc wanted me to, though I don't remember the exact progression of it. I had to live with the moonface, but I did not mind the appetite increase, as I was able to thoroughly enjoy a lot of healthy meals loaded with veggies, things I knew I needed to eat more of. Stir fries with veggies and eggs and other proteins, on top of rice, were the easiest things to prepare in my medicated stupor. I did gain weight, but not to the point of obesity, and was able to lose most of it later... Everyone is different in that way. I guess my point is that pred can be enjoyable for some people sometimes. Maybe when you are also on MTX, the pred problems will become secondary as you get used to the new med. Best of luck.
    Last edited by annekat; 03-22-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds great, Cindy. I will try to remember to order it myself when I'm sure my bills are covered. I hope people will keep talking about it so as to remind me, though I think I may have saved a bookmark for it, too.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast