Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: you don't look sick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I certainly understand the desire/need/wish to be in germ free environs, but that's probably not possible unless ya got one of those neato plastic bubbles and a lot of germicide spray....anyway, my pulmy, and 2 rheumys have said same thing: told me that I am as susceptible as anyone else out there, but with WG and the drugs, I am still the same as before dx...that's the point of remission. So, are extra precautions necessary? Yes, but not to the point of obsessive behaviors. I wash, avoid super congested events/places, take my drugs, and don't really make much of an effort to avoid people. Then again, I don't work in an enclosed environment, but even then just being aware goes a long way. Best to you all!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend over two hours a day on a train getting to and from work.
    That's one enclosed environment that you just can't control

If I was a total germaphobe I wouldn't be able to work at all, therefore where I can control the situation - I will do my best to
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alysia View Post

Hey.......that's me
    Yes, I can certainly relate to that
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I left work last June. I couldn't work anymore it was just too hard. I applied for disability and was denied. My appeal was denied and now I'm waiting for a hearing. Have people had luck getting disability or have any advice when applying? Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Live well.
    Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoriaitsnosecret View Post
    I left work last June. I couldn't work anymore it was just too hard. I applied for disability and was denied. My appeal was denied and now I'm waiting for a hearing. Have people had luck getting disability or have any advice when applying? Thank you!

How long did you wait after stopping work before applying? I've gotten the impression you have a better chance if you wait something like 6 months, but then I've heard other things, too. They want to be sure you are unable to work, and if you were just working full-time right before you apply, they'll think you are capable of working. I was successful in getting SS Disability, but I'm in a unique situation. I am self-employed making and selling pottery and was already making so little when I got diagnosed that it was below the limit for them to consider it gainful employment. Of course, I think having undiagnosed Wegs for 2.5 years contributed to my inability to do better and make more income. I received a retroactive payment going back as far as the regulations would allow. I think the system should be changed to make people qualified to get benefits when they first get sick or diagnosed with a serious disease such as Wegs.

I realize, though, that you have appealed twice, it sounds like, so a lot of time may have gone by. Best of luck on the upcoming hearing, and I guess I'd say if it's denied, get another lawyer and keep trying.
    Last edited by annekat; 03-31-2014 at 01:39 PM.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I applied a month after leaving work. My initial application was denied. Then I appealed that decision and still they denied me. The 3rd stage is this hearing. I don't know what happens after that. I had a full time job but my attendance was inconsistent. I tried to leave a few times but then was talked into staying. I finally couldn't do it anymore. I'm crossing my fingers.

Live well.
    Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Victoriaitsnosecret View Post
    I applied a month after leaving work. My initial application was denied. Then I appealed that decision and still they denied me. The 3rd stage is this hearing. I don't know what happens after that. I had a full time job but my attendance was inconsistent. I tried to leave a few times but then was talked into staying. I finally couldn't do it anymore. I'm crossing my fingers.
    Hi Victoria, Do you have an attorney? I'm in the process right now. I was denied the first time and they didn't receive my appeal. So I've sent in another "initial claim" and it has made it to the review stage so I'm waiting. From what I understand the process is much easier to go through with an attorney. I had one, but fired them and I'm in the process of getting a local firm to represent me. I don't have any advice except hang in there and consider an attorney if you don't have one. If they win it for you it's worth it and there is no money up front.

A lot depends on what your doctors report back to the SSA. From what I remember you have been mostly asymptomatic except for the fatigue. That could be what is causing you to be turned down. Good luck and keep us posted. If you have any questions you can always PM me.
    Last edited by windchime; 03-31-2014 at 02:48 PM.
    Cindy

Earth is just a stopover and whatever you achieve there is only a small part of the deal. The Afterlife Of Billy Fingers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I do have an attorney. I finally figured it better get one. I was asymptotic except for the fatigue but now I'm having lots of joint pain, back pain, knee pain. My hands and knees get so stiff it's hard to move them. I was asking some of the other people on here if they thought it was a flare? I'm off prednisone for about 3 months but still on methotrexate. When you don't "look" sick it's hard to prove you are. I've been thinking well maybe I can work here or there but physically I really can't. It stinks that it takes so long. Thank you.

Live well.
    Victoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am also trying to get one, eventhough I am working. if I will get it, I will not have to pay so many taxes. but as I wrote above, my doc said that "you don't look sick" so he doubt I can get it....
    I will update how it is going on.... I will have to meet a committee.... need to preprare myself "to act" like a dead-walking or I think that my first statement will be to explain to them about invisible illness...
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast