Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Side effects question

I started treatment in March 2013 with Cytoxan, 60 mg prednisone, among others...

The past few months I've had an issue where my eyes are tearing constantly. Could this be a result of the Cytoxan? Maybe blocked tear ducts?

My Rheumatologist doesn't think it is WG related and suggests I see an eye docotor.

I've been through so much, and I'm finally on maintenance meds.

I just want a normal life again....so I'm terrified to ask. Anyone hear of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It could be blocked tear ducts. My own recent experience was tearing a lot from sinus infection and blocked tear duct. I think the eye doctor would be a good place to start.
    In less than a month I am getting sinus surgery and surgery on one eye for the blocked duct. I'm actually looking forward to it because my condition has been a looooooong time in the making and I'm so tired of it I'm hopeful this will be a solution.
    Your case could be something more simple and temporary though- hence the need for a doc to look into it.
    The test they have for blocked tear duct is much more simple than when I had it done 15 years ago on my OTHER eye. They just numb up your eye with some drops and try and pump some saline through the blocked duct with a syringe full of saline.
    Its not as bad as it sounds. I hate have them futz around my eyes and even for me it was just no big deal and over pretty quickly. Of course I had a pretty , young female doctor and I may have been a bit mentally distracted.
    Really though it was the fact that was also very good at doing it. The 'pretty' part was really just an un-necessary bonus. You might even sound a bit off if you request an attractive doctor so maybe just accept whoever they give you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Patrick,

Going to your eye doctor would be a good idea. It may be something as simple as a blocked tear duct. If so, it'll get treated and that should be the end of it.

However, our dumb disease attacks in very sneaky ways. A question for you: How is your nose doing? Persistent sinus congestion? Nasal crusting (boogers) with or without blood? Nosebleeds? Any of those could be a symptom that the disease is attacking on a new front.

One thing I've learned about this disease is to be a bit paranoid about new symptoms. I keep a health journal and note when new phenomena occur. If they go away and stay away, I tend to disregard. If they go away and come back, I call my rheumy (who manages my disease treatment). If they persist, I definitely call the doc. In many cases, it's nothing, but sometimes...

Good luck and better health!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do notice a lot of nasal crusting with blood. I never mentioned it because my Dr asks specifically about "nose bleeds" which is a little different. He never asks about blood in crustation...I also failed to report to him that I get dailt congestion and large masses of mucus/waste discharged often.....I got used to this so i never think to mention it.... I have a perferated septum so me and the Dr. are aware that the WG hit my nose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrick,

Do you rinse your sinuses regularly using either a neti-pot or Neil-med bottle and saline solution? This has helped me deal with the effects of low humidity in the house for the past couple months.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I do not. It would probably have to be daily so I sort of just deal with it