User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unusual med administration method?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Unusual med administration method?

Hi everyone! I have been away for awhile again. Busy with the holidays...but also contending with two downturns in health. The usual nonsense...sinusitis, wheezing, extreme shortness of breath, the whole nine yards. Prednisone, as usual, got me out of the first bout. I decided to avoid pred the next time and did manage to get better without it. The trouble is, these downturns sap my energy...not to mention render me useless for two full weeks or more. So...have been useless for 4 out of the past 6 weeks.

I went to my favorite doctor on Friday. She said she has a few ideas. The one we all liked best was for me to use pulmicort in my electric nebulizer. But...instead of using the mouthpiece, use the face mask instead and inhale and exhale through my nose. Have any of you tried that method?

My doctor says it is obvious that i need an anti-inflammatory because i get better as soon as I am on orednisone and get worse soon after going off it. Her theory is that, since the sinusitis seems to be the main cause of my asthma symptoms, perhaps breathing in a steroid inhalation solution through my nose might improve the chronic sinusitis without the side effects of oral pred, which gives a much higher dose of steroids.

I've only been doing this for two days...but feel considerably better. I will let you know if I get some long lasting results. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this for sinus/asthma. thanks!
    Jacquie (aka Lifelong Booknut)

Updated status: "Honorary Weggie"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did the steroid inhalers for a short while...tho they helped, my sinus walls were pretty destroyed and sensitive thus bleeding occurred...so none since then.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a nebulizer to inhale an albuterol solution when my asthma gets too active. Gives me quick relief.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a steroid nasal spray PRN when I have more fresh blood and bleeding from nasal rinses. I think it helps as bleeding seems to reduce or go away in a few days.
    Knowledge is power! Wisdom is using it to make good decisions!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I use a nebulizer to inhale an albuterol solution when my asthma gets too active. Gives me quick relief.
    Albuterol helps me when I get short of breath. SOB....what an appropriate abbreviation!! However, it does not help the wheeze that i have on exhalation 24/7/365. It literally NEVER goes away. It is caused by my constant post-nasal drip. So, the theory here is to not only inhale a steroid, but to inhale it through and out of my nose in the hopes that method will slow down the congestion and post nasal drip going on in my nose and sinuses. My current diagnosis is asthma exacerbated by Chronic Rhinosinusitis. I am hoping this works, because the next step is Xolair, and I do NOT like what I am reading about that!

I continue on this forum because friends like you are always ready to help out. I don't have WG....but many of my symptoms are the same. This is a great forum!! Thanks for being part of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I use a steroid nasal spray PRN when I have more fresh blood and bleeding from nasal rinses. I think it helps as bleeding seems to reduce or go away in a few days.
    i use a nasal spray..generic flonase...as well. I have not noticed any improvement, but keep going with it. The budesinide (Pulmicort) does seem to help reduce the constant stream of mucus. Thanks for your reply. You are such a great resource on this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jacuie, I have inhaled pulmicort as well in the past. At first I had a syringe that I used to spray it into each nostril. Then I was hospitalized and the syringe broke so one of the nurses said just to nebulize it so I did. I can't remember if it helped much at all to be honest. That was the time, I think, when the M. Abscessus was diagnosed. So, later being on all those powerful antibiotics probably cleared up everything in my body. I had recurring and ongoing sinus infection from early 2009 to mid 2010.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised Phil didn't advocate for some serious sinus irrigation. It helps me keep what's left of my good mucosa (sp?) in decent shape. Also rinses out all the crud that used to be post-nasal drip.

Since I started aggressively irrigating, no more dripping, and upper airway wheezing.

MikeG-2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, rinsing is a good idea. Also Jacquie, did you not take an antibiotic like Avelox for the sinusitis? That is what I am taking now for mine.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I had severe chronic asthma, I did that (sans face mask) for a while, I think with asthmacort (sp?) It was 25+ years ago...anyway, it did help the nasal infkammation.inflammation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast