Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: alcohol and GPA/WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked about a beer or whisky on occasion and the Dr just shook his head and said don't drink any alocohol. But I think it was just his personal reply because he never explained why and I didn't ask,but I do have a whiskey sometimes 2 a week. But they did put me on Cellcept(mycophenolate) because it was easier on the liver or wasn't processed thru the liver of something like that. Cellcept is a transplant med.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceflightAddict View Post
    My Wegs doc said the same thing, no alcohol while on MTX. He did say a beer or two a week on CTX is fine though, and if i'm real good, my remission drug might be something a little less harsh on the liver, Mycophenolate I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is mainly the MTX that is a medical issue with alcohol because of its potential effect on the liver, especially over time. If we aren't taking MTX, that wouldn't apply, unless there are specific issues with other meds and alcohol. Many of us who take MTX still enjoy an occasional drink, and if nothing negative is showing up in our blood work as a result, it is probably OK, or that seems to to be the consensus.

I can understand a WG doc making a blanket statement not to drink alcohol, since we have a serious disease and needn't complicate the issue with what is essentially a recreational drug. But I do think of it as something of a personal opinion. I think there are a lot of people who abuse alcohol or drink more than they need to, since after all, it is legal. I'm not saying anyone here is in that category. But these warnings may be given with that fact in mind. If people think it is OK to drink with WG or while on MTX, some may overdo it with negative effects. That is the way I interpret it, anyway. With MTX, one should exercise more caution and make sure to get the bloodwork regularly.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Anne. When I talked to the surgeon that did my colon resection about it being caused by smoking and he said that colon cancer was more than likely a dietary cause. He did say if I wanted help to quit smoking that they offered help but he said only if I was ready to quit. He wouldn't preach not to smoke as he was a smoker and chewing the devil out of a piece of gum and I think I was his last operation as he retired that week. But I think I got the same thing about the drinking an adult beverage. I don't abuse it but it is refreshing once or twice a week. Just a couple drinks. For what its worth, Im told that alcohol takes the oxygen out of your blood if used in excess.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123