Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fungal Exposure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fungal Exposure

Do you believe that your WG could be as a result of Fungal/Mold exposure??

I have always said that mine was as a result of stress - a car accident, lumps found in breast, death and funeral of my father (all in a 3 month period).
    However, at the same time, I was having arthritis type issues with my hands and we were renovating our bathrooms to make it easier for me to turn door handles and taps etc.
    Inside the bathroom walls, was full of black mold.

Check out the link below.

Very Rare Autoimmune Disease has been Occurring in Record Numbers
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is a possibility. I was living in a basement for about 2 months in 2002 and in 2003 when I got sick I was having to use a basement to go shower that did not seem to clean. The first basement seemed good. It was a finished basement and it was clean and smelled good, so probably that one was okay. But the one I had to shower in was dark and did not seem the cleanest. So maybe there was something down there. I was also under a lot of stress as well as I was taking engineering in school. In one of my classes I was exposed to Portland cement dust and we all know that is toxic to us. So maybe that was a factor as well. There is a case of 15 or more Weggies diagnosed in a short time near Missoula, Montana. I think it was silica exposure.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I began to think you might have picked up on something here with mould. I have always lived in old stone built houses that have always had a battle with damp and mould. But then I thought about how many members we have in Australia, so I'm not too sure now.
    I don't think mould, itself, causes WG. But mouldy places tend to be damp and I think damp conditions could help cause a flare for someone who already has WG.
    Diagnosed April 1995

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see why mold could not be a trigger along with infections, silica exposure, stress, etc. Mold is insidious stuff, lurking in all kinds of places, I'm sure. I've thought of that with myself, too, living in an older house in a damp climate, selling at a semi-enclosed outdoor market where it is often cold and damp and there are open drains. When I was tested for allergies, pre-Wegs dx, I came up positive for several molds along with a bunch of pollens, and a lesser reaction to animal dander, house dust, and feathers. I also wonder about some possible connections between allergies and Wegs.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I think it is a possibility. I was living in the batcave for about 2 months
    I fixed your post sir!
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always kind of thought this too - but I can't find any "real" mold in my house or anywhere around me. I had that mold scare last year; had the mold professionally tested & and it wasn't even mold... lol

You can have a test done where they come into your house with a meter; and they can sense molds and other baddies. I had it done; peace of mind.

Linda on FB (If any of you know Linda from PEI) told me that they told her at the vasc thing in philly that WG was caused by some kind of coating on a staph bacteria. I asked her for documentation or if there was more info and she couldn't give it to me. She said that's what the docs at the big vasc convention (or symphonium, whatever they call it) said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carriej22 View Post
    WG was caused by some kind of coating on a staph bacteria.
    I don't think it causes Weg, but can help trigger Weg in the nasal area. At least that's what I understood from a few things I read. I also had my surgical wound infected with staph aureus during the beginning of my weg symptoms.
    Diagnosed 08/2013, Relapse 07/2014, Relapse 5/2017 (although early signs of it from 12/2016)