Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: List of Prednisone side effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW for me personally I think Pred is a great short-term symptoms mitigation strategy. It does not cure anything however, it only deals with the symptoms. Long-term for me I think it is a no-go and I will resist using it in the future even for the short-term. When my WEGS comes back i will strongly voice concern against using Pred in favor or RXMab. I know there is some that think Pred is effective at keeping WEGS at bay but I wonder what the cost is for that and don't tell me there is no cost.

Picked up a cold the other day, sinus congestion, fever kind of cold. Mostly gone now. I have to say getting a cold sucks but it is nice to know that is all it is and it is nice to feel my sinuses starting to settle down without any medications - not even over the counter stuff. I must say my sinus surgery two years ago did a lot to help and it is only now that my wegs is under control that I can see how much benefit the sinus surgery is done for me.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Randyb, you did very well in getting off pred so fast, compared to a lot of us. A lot of us are lingering between 10 and 5mg and can't seem to get all the way off. But I'm sorry you ended up with the problems you did. Being on 80mg. for 2 months sounds like a long time and I wonder if that could be when a lot of the damage was done. Just speculation, as I really know little about this. Everyone is different, apparently, in how they react to pred. But of course, you are right that we need to get off it as soon as we can.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was noodling about all of this and wonder the following - I suspect having weak kidneys is a huge factor in how much of the medication is in your blood. If your kidneys are weak like mine then they are unlikely to eliminate the meds out of the blood systems in 24 hours - then you add in more, and the next day more, an on and on. So 80Mg for me might actually end up being a MUCH higher dosage over time.

Curious if any other folks suffering from Kidney failure have had similar discussions or thoughts on this subject

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Randyb, you did very well in getting off pred so fast, compared to a lot of us. A lot of us are lingering between 10 and 5mg and can't seem to get all the way off. But I'm sorry you ended up with the problems you did. Being on 80mg. for 2 months sounds like a long time and I wonder if that could be when a lot of the damage was done. Just speculation, as I really know little about this. Everyone is different, apparently, in how they react to pred. But of course, you are right that we need to get off it as soon as we can.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345