Thread: Hello!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hello!

Hi everyone,

I've just discovered this forum – what a fantastic site! I can't believe I didn't come across it sooner.

My story is similar to a lot of yours. I was diagnosed with Wegener's in 2005 when I was 23 years old. I'd had joint pain, anaemia and swelling of my left leg for several months before disease eventually hit my kidneys. I developed rapidly progressive glomerulonephritis along with retroperitoneal fibrosis and was rushed into hospital. They treated me with dialysis and plasma exchange 3 x weekly and a hefty dose of cyclophosphamide and prednisolone, and I achieved remission after about a month. Since then I have remained in remission without the need for dialysis. I was on mycophenolate mofetil up until about a year ago when I asked to switch to azathioprine. I now take 75mg azathioprine and 5mg prednisolone a day.

I'm 31 years old now and 21 weeks into my first pregnancy. Everything was going well until mid last week when my left leg started swelling again and I've since had really bad joint pains. I've not had a flare up of the illness since the initial diagnosis, but these symptoms feel very reminiscent of the original symptoms I had in 2005. Blood tests showing all normal values so far, and kidney function is good, but they didn't check for ANCA until today (waiting for results now – should know in a couple of days – got fingers firmly crossed).

There's not a huge amount of literature available about pregnancy and Wegener's – and the little that does exist is not hugely encouraging. I'd love to hear some stories from other people who've been pregnant or who know someone who has. I'm finding it all quite terrifying, to be honest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people have had children after their diagnosis of Wegs and hopefully some readers here will see your message and reply here too. If you were in good remission for some years every thing should be OK if you still have enough kidney function left to do the job. Pregnancy will put an extra strain on kidneys but your doctors will be able to evaluate this and advise you as to what is happening and needed now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to this great forum! Remission in one month, wow! But sorry to hear you are now having issues while dealing with a pregnancy, too. Can't really add to drz's advice, and am unfamiliar with the kinds of pain you are experiencing. But I'm glad you found us and will be interested to hear what new information you are given.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    If you were in good remission for some years every thing should be OK if you still have enough kidney function left to do the job.
    Funnily enough I've had a slight improvement in kidney function with the onset of pregnancy. Just hoping it keeps up!

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Remission in one month, wow!
    It was very quick and very unexpected! I remember at the time they were hoping that I might achieve remission in 3 or 4 months. The plan was to remove my temporary dialysis line and fit a permanent one, and to do a biopsy on the RPF. But a couple of days before the biopsy it was cancelled as a scan showed the fibrosis had vanished. The RPGN, which had been the worst case my kidney consultant had ever seen, improved around the same time. So instead of putting in a permanent line they took out my temporary one and sent me home, and I've not had to spend a night in hospital since.
    Last edited by tmesis; 06-20-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome, and try this thread, search it on here...good story, may be helpful for you. Wegeners and Pregnancy

Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tmesis and welcome to the group.......it's about time you got here

Gwen on this forum has had three beautiful daughters since being diagnosed at the age of 15.
    I hope she sees your post and can help you.

I wish for you, the best of health during your pregnancy and look forward to hearing of your progress.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies and the heads up to Gwenllian - her story is a fascinating read. I have a small update - some of my results are through and they're not what I expected. Inflammation markers (ESR and CRP) are normal but now the kidney function has dipped a bit - creatinine levels up to 128 from 111 umol/l last week. ANCA results going to take a couple more days to come in.

Am waiting to hear back from kidney consultant and trying not to panic. I've had dips before that were much worse than this. Can't help but worry though.

Edit: ANCA result just in and it's negative... colour me surprised/confused/not a little relieved.
    Last edited by tmesis; 06-21-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi tmesis,
    I haven't been on this forum in quite some time but I was resting tonight and decided to go on and see what's up. First of all, congrats of your pregnancy! I am also pregnant and I have wg. I am 29.5 weeks at the moment. So far I have had a great pregnancy and I have been feeling great. I am keeping my fingers crossed and praying that it stays that way. I don't really know about the leg swelling. Could it just be regular swolleness from pregnancy? Some people really swell up. Are you seeing a high risk doctor? I hope that they can give you some insight. If you want to chat more, you can message me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to our group tmesis and congrats on your pregnancy and your anca tests coming back neg. Unfortunately you can't solely rely on anca tests. Mine kept coming back neg for almost a year after my biopsy had confirmed I had wg. Hopefully Mel can help you since she going thru the same thing . Good luck and I'll say a pray that you both have healthy, happy babies !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think that during my third pregnancy I was already having WG but was not diagnosed yet. I had skin rash, nose issues and coughing. and terrible fatigue before pregnancy. during pregnancy, my symptoms lessned. I felt much better. maybe something in the pregnancy was good to my systems. I hope that your pregnancy will help you feeling better.
    Alysia
    dx 2008

Here, in this forum, I have found my sweet eternal love, my beautiful Phil.. :
    https://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.com/forum/threads/4238-pberggren-memorial-thread
    "You are my sunshine", he used to sing to me... "you make me happy, when skies are grey" I still answer him.
    Rest in Peace, my brave Batman and take care of your weggies from heaven, until we meet again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast