Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Predinisone reductions

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    You know what's helped me when I've gotten in situations like that? Visualizing the perfect conversation beforehand. What would you say, how would they respond, etc... if it went the best possible way. It's relaxing and every time I've done that the conversation goes that well or even better.
    (I know this is getting off topic.... sorry).... great idea Sangye, in fact, i've been doing that.... here's part of it: "Well, I have a couple weeks worth of left-over Cytoxan.... should I take that instead, since you won't go to the trouble of contacting my drug plan to authorize my MTX, which I need NOW!?"
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, well that isn't how I would picture an ideal conversation.... That's what I'd say in a confrontational one! LOL Ideal means you're calm, clear and polite and they're kind, understanding and willing to work with you. Ease.....

So in my ideal conversation I'd be very calm and relaxed and say something like, "My situation is that I need more mtx by (date) and I'm not able to pay for it out of pocket. The only way for me to get it is if the prescription is authorized by my insurance, which means this office needs to contact them and provide what's needed. I know you don't want me to go without mtx any more than I do. How can we make this authorization happen so I can maintain my progress?"

By referring to them as "this office" it takes the sting out of saying "you guys." They'll be more willing to help. Even if it's one person who's responsible for it and you're talking to them, it still feels better to them if you put it like that. Less threatening.

I've learned this stuff the hard way. OMG. And my really awesome therapist in AZ taught me so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I knew as soon as I posted it, it was too confrontational, but just didn't feel like going back and re-doing it. The part about the Cytoxan I might reserve to say in an "innocent" way, like... "well, should I just go back to that then, as I still have some.....?" since I know my doc doesn't want me on it. Overall, I just want to keep it simple and not too wordy, but get to the point. I can't believe this could be such a big deal. I need to talk to the right nurse there and hope she is there today. I live in fear that my doc will be out of the office and I know he's off Fridays so it has to be today. Yesterday I was at work so it was hard to call again later in the day.

Thanks for the suggestions, good ones, as always.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally down to 2mg today. Anyone else find that under 4 it gets easier to taper? I was in pain every other week from the taper all winter, but going to 3 didn't cause me any issues at all. Decided to push on to 2mg more quickly as a result.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Bob,

I've tapered down from 5 to 1 at the rate of 1 mg every two weeks since late January. Friday is the day I get off pred. I've had no problems so far (he said knocking on wood).

Good luck with the rest of your taper.

Are you enjoying the Buckeyes' run in the tournament? Going to be hard to top yesterday's finish!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once one reaches around 3-4 mgs, you are actually producing what your body would...so, if and when one's adrenals wake up, then the taper should be pretty much painless and effortless since one is in a 'match' mode with the body...just hope the adrenals get it!! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Buckeyes are trying to give me hearth failure Pete

I'm guessing that maybe it is that my adrenals are coming back online now. That would explain the easy of 3.5 to 3 to 2.

One side question...does old prednisone lose it's effectiveness. That was one other thought I had is I was taking half of some older 5mg tabs for a while. Wondered if that might be part of the issue.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob, I had some pred a couple of years old or more and my doc said it would be OK to take it, that it should still work. However, I can't find it, so can't test it right now.... but I did take some awhile back when it was already old and it seemed to work.

At such time as I try to go below 10mg or 5mg, I'm hoping there will be 1mg pills available, since splitting them can be so difficult and inaccurate. Seems I've heard of them.

Congrats on getting so low! You're on your way.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    The Buckeyes are trying to give me hearth failure Pete One side question...does old prednisone lose it's effectiveness. That was one other thought I had is I was taking half of some older 5mg tabs for a while. Wondered if that might be part of the issue.
    Ah, the Buckeyes are my dark horse team...so was G'Town, choked on that one! Anyway, pred will still be in the 90% effective range after a year...so no real worries there. Kind of a forced taper if you will! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Ah, the Buckeyes are my dark horse team...so was G'Town, choked on that one! Anyway, pred will still be in the 90% effective range after a year...so no real worries there. Kind of a forced taper if you will! LOL!
    I'm glad I don't care about sports. Good info about the pred, my doc was pretty casual about it and could be wrong. Yes, good way to taper, though, just take old pred!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast