Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SSDI Claim Confusion/Confession - Need Feedback

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default SSDI Claim Confusion/Confession - Need Feedback

Six mos back I turned my claim over to a law office. I finally have a judge's hearing in January (2 years after my initial claim).
    It's always been a confusing thing, as I knew I was capable of P/T work. I may be capable of F/T work, but wonder at this point if I shouldn't just stick with P/T so my claim can move forward.
    With SSDI I get insurance. With F/T work I might be denied (medical) insurance - which was part of the reason I was seeking F/T.
    And I think about the future. In a year or two I might only be able to perform P/T work - or none at all. The thought of starting this all over would be the pits.
    Then I think I'm supposed to walk in the court "bandaged up and on crutches" - needy looking in other words.
    What are your thoughts. Don't spare me.

David
    [email protected]
    Last edited by TOBEY32; 10-30-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would trust my attorney's advice on this matter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have no experience with SSDI so I can’t comment on that. But what comes to mind is that it’s important to live in the present rather than worrying about the “what if’s” of the future. If you can work, then I would get to working. Working is very important for me in keeping my mind flowing and occupied. You will worry yourself in the ground and if you don’t have something to direct your energy to. However, from what I hear, trying to get SSDI is like a full time job. Good luck either way.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with drz and HopeinTN. I am on SSDI but got it through the long term disability people from work. They hired out to lobby for me in order to receive it, saved them a ton of money. From what I understand it is at best difficult to get on your own. Hence I think you would need a lawyer to go to bat for you. It does not come with Health Insurance.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drz,
    Beyond money, the law office has no personal interest/stake in this. I ALREADY KNOW what they're thinking/wanting.
    Dale,
    I thought medical insurance was an automatic w/ SSDI?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    drz,
    Beyond money, the law office has no personal interest/stake in this. I ALREADY KNOW what they're thinking/wanting.
    Dale,
    As I understand it, you get Medicare coverage after being on SSDI for 2 years. In my case, I was awarded retroactive benefits to 1.5 years prior to approval for benefits. So six months after that, I was on Medicare. I had to give up my state-sponsored low-income health insurance, which cost me less than Medicare does. I don't know how it would be if you are working and getting coverage through work.... I've gotten the impression you can have Medicare in addition to other insurance but I'm not sure who picks up the tab first. It is all so complicated. Your attorney should know the ins and outs.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    drz,
    Dale,
    Money can be a powerful motivator, but the best ones also have an ego investment in winning their cases. Helping you understand and feel better about the whole legal procedure is normally part of their duty in representing you. The attorney should also know the rules regarding your insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What ever you do, always be totally honest with yourself and everyone else. Don't let money or anything else keep your from being completely honest. I always preached that to my kids and it seems to be a pretty good rule.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where is that thread that someone posted about the ss rules on being disabled and we fell under a certain section.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !