Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Endocrinology Update-- Mixed News

I saw my endocrinologist for a follow-up visit this week. We had re-tested my adrenal function and it was not so great. My adrenals are functioning, but nowhere good enough to try to taper the hydrocortisone yet. The plan is to wait another 6 months and retest. If the adrenals are working better we'll try to taper again. She said it can take a long time to wake the adrenals up again and is not surprised by my numbers.

Still, 6 months. I feel pretty discouraged. It's not like I feel good or even decent on this dose of HC, or on steroids at any dose. And there's this long chain reaction that the steroids maintain. While I'm on them I can't lose weight. If I can't lose weight the increased intracranial pressure persists, which is a problem by itself but also keeps me on a diuretic. If I can't lose weight the lower extremity swelling is much worse, which keeps me on a second diuretic. And if I can't lose weight I have sleep apnea (though it's still undiagnosed), which makes me exhausted, increases the risk of other conditions and ironically, prevents weight loss. Being exhausted means I can't exercise or function much..... You see how it goes. "Another 6 months" feels like a prison sentence.

And there's another stupid twist: I just finished rtx, which starts wearing off in about 7 months. So just when we'll (hopefully) be tapering the HC, the Wegs will be waking up, making it impossible to tell if symptoms are due to the HC-taper or Wegs activity. This is upsetting, to say the least. I'm gonna have to just ignore my hopes and fears and stay in the present moment, even though right now I really just want to cry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Sangye - I haven't posted in a while but still read some posts here and there.
    I am sorry you are feeling so lousy, please stay strong and have hope that things will improve as I'm sure they will! I know it seems like a long and bumpy road but just look at where you have been at in the past. Big hugs to you!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Brooke. I just don't feel very optimistic right now. Things haven't improved in a long time. My last rtx infusion was on June 26, making it 6 years since being dx'ed and being able to work. It really got me down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand, it is hard to stay positive and be optimistic when you are feeling so crumby. My thoughts are with you and I hope you start feeling better very soon! We are all here for you to express your thoughts, anger, worries and whatever else is on your mind.
    Not trying to shine the light on me, but I have some good news of myself, I am pregnant! Just found out on July 5th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! I'm so happy for you, Brooke! I know how long you two have wanted a second child. Due date?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you Sangye. Due date is March 18th. Instead of trying fertility medications, we decided to do Intrauterine Insemination, did that on June 25th.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Thanks Brooke. I just don't feel very optimistic right now. Things haven't improved in a long time. My last rtx infusion was on June 26, making it 6 years since being dx'ed and being able to work. It really got me down.
    I just want to cry right along with you and then give you a big warm hug. I am so sorry Sangye, I wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all go away, and you wake up because one of your patients is knocking on your office door and all of this has been one crazy dream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll send good vibes your way. I hope things start looking up real fast!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much hydrocortisone do they have you on? Mine has been at 15/5 for about the past 2 years. I specify cortef. I don't know if cortef is a generic or brandname, but it's been good to me, so I stick with it. Best of luck! This disease kind of gets tiring doesn't it?

I was in the ER 4 times during the course of 3 days over the 4th. Drug-induced psychosis I guess. It was (is) one of the worst experineces I have ever been thru. I am just barely maintaining now, but they did up my drugs this morning.

I'm now on 17 different drugs. I'm really tired of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your words of encouragement and support.

Debra-- this was my 5th round of rtx. The Wegs dog very consistently sets his alarm clock for 7 months post-rtx.

vdub-- I'm on 12.5/5. I don't feel that good at 12.5 but I'm gonna see how I do on that dose now that the Wegs dog is going back to sleep (hopefully). Every time I've tried to taper to 10/5 I crash within a couple of days. Cortef is the brand name. Mine is generic HC. I'm so sorry to hear you went through drug-induced psychosis-- holy smokes, that must have been terrifying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast