Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How much pain is too much pain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much pain is too much pain?

Over the past few months I've been suffering with lower back,leg, and arm pain. I asked my MD about it and she thinks it's the prednisone. My question to her was "how much pain is too much pain? and when should I worry?" I expect there to be a little pain. When I was first dx I was told I would have arthritis symptoms but the pain I have is more of a constant soreness. I work on my feet and I know it's a factor but I now have trouble being comfortable enough to get a solid nights rest. I also asked her about being tired. Now I'm going to do a sleep study to make sure I get enough oxygen when I sleep. I know theses side effects are expected but what I want to know is when should I worry? She did give me some Ultracet (tramadol-acetaminophen) but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Any thoughts or help on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AmyA View Post
    Over the past few months I've been suffering with lower back,leg, and arm pain. I asked my MD about it and she thinks it's the prednisone. My question to her was "how much pain is too much pain? and when should I worry?" I expect there to be a little pain. When I was first dx I was told I would have arthritis symptoms but the pain I have is more of a constant soreness. I work on my feet and I know it's a factor but I now have trouble being comfortable enough to get a solid nights rest. I also asked her about being tired. Now I'm going to do a sleep study to make sure I get enough oxygen when I sleep. I know theses side effects are expected but what I want to know is when should I worry? She did give me some Ultracet (tramadol-acetaminophen) but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick. Any thoughts or help on this?
    I can't answer this, Amy, though it is fair to say that you do need to get some sleep now and then. You must know yourself how much you can take. However, there are ways to deal with pain and then there are ways. Not all are appropriate every patient. For instant, i am not allowed any NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, and such) because of severe kidney involvement. So I mostly just suffer through it all. But that doesn't work for everyone. Please let us know what you learn!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Prednisone doesn't cause low back pain or other pain unless you're tapering it, and then it would only be temporary. I suggest you see a chiropractor to diagnose what's going on. It could be something very simple to correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have kidney involvement? Mine are badly damaged and that is where I noticed the pain the most in the beginning. I get a burning sensation along my spine and the doctor said that was prednisone but it's more uncomfortable than pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skipper View Post
    Do you have kidney involvement? Mine are badly damaged and that is where I noticed the pain the most in the beginning. I get a burning sensation along my spine and the doctor said that was prednisone but it's more uncomfortable than pain.
    Many of us have kidney damage from Wegs cause it is usually unnoticed when it attacks the kidneys unless you have blood work or urine testing that discloses what is happening. Bladder infections are more likely to cause pain in kidney area in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have severe kidney damage and I had all the tests indicating there was a problem but until the diagnosis months later nothing was done. I have no idea what my family doctor was thinking but just kept sending me for tests instead of to a nephrologist. Too late to think about it now just have to be kind to what function I have. However, I did have a lot of back pain during that period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What medications are you on and are you in remission? You could be having a big flare, you also stated your more tired. It sounds to me that your wegeners is not being controlled. Who do you see in Greenville?