User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Osseo integrated hearing implant. (BAHA is old name)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Osseo integrated hearing implant. (BAHA is old name)

I just returned from trip to Mayo clinic where wife got the second Rituxan treatment for her lymphoma. This one had the Zedvalin radioactive isotope added. Reading about it reads like a sci fi article from the 60's with mouse cells being used to create a min radioactive bomb that will join with the Rituxan cells that target the lymphoma cancer cells so radioactivity kills them quickly. This was used in Europe for years before the FDA allowed it in USA. I believe Mayo was first to do it the USA and they seem to be pioneering lot of cancer research break throughs according to news letter they mailed me.

I had a message that my operation for the osseo integrated hearing implant was authorized by Medicare and is set up for 13 days at Hearing clinic at U of MN. I have had no hearing in right ear since April of 2010 due to Weg attack that also took out the balance on that side. But for last week I have been wearing a demo loaner and enjoying hearing in stereo again. I have to mail the loaner back tomorrow but it has convinced me that it will be a great improvement in hearing. Like Phil's CI operation there is a two or three month healing period before you can start using the hearing aid, but no learning process since you are hearing usual sounds again only the sound goes through the mastoid bone into cochlea instead of through the middle ear which was made non functional by Weg attack. Looking forward to enjoying stereo sound again this summer.

It is hard to find out from most places whether an osseointegrated hearing implant would help a hearing loss as I had to try three places to get a proper assessment. If you can hear better through the bone conduction hearing tests than through the inner ear, it might help you. The old tuning fork test also helps an experienced doctor but the sterling indicator is putting on the demo and hearing almost normal again in the deaf ear. The demo is held in place against the mastoid bone behind your deaf ear by an elastic band. The implant is attached by a snap to a stud screwed into your mastoid bone. I suppose I could ask for a fluorescent color or gold trim or something to make it look more like a decorative pierce piece of jewelry. A stud in the head should look more macho than some wimpy ring through the nose or tongue, right???
    Last edited by drz; 02-18-2012 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure this will work for you drz. Will be praying for you that this will be a success and you can hear better in the future.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great post, drz. I am highly curious how you will find the results. Please let us know how it works out!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, how wonderful for you! I can't wait until you can start hearing in stereo again drz!

I wanna see a picture of the stud in your head.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had surgery for osseointegrated hearing implant yesterday. Had a little anxiety when surgeon told me before surgery we are going to do an implant for your left ear. I told him the loaner demo was on right ear and I thought that was side for implant. He checked my chart and said you are right so lets mark it right away to be sure we get it done on right side. He drew a big arrow and circle behind right ear with a marking pen.

We viewed several videos the night before about this type of surgery. Several are posted on Youtube. The infomercial from BAHA said the surgery was minor and painless and some people went back to work the same day. I would say NOT and that it is sure more uncomfortable than a root canal. I took several pain pills for that day and slept most of the time too. The surgeon said it went well and i hope it will work out well. The large bandage about size of cupped hand is sewed to my head and they will cut it off next week. I guess they will then put on a smaller bandage and I will have to start regular cleaning of the area around the stud to keep it clean and try avoid any infections. They said it takes about three months for the bone to heal around the stud before any hearing device can be attached so I hope for much improved hearing this summer. Will let you know results then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that's the first step, drz. Let us know how you fare in the next....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news that you have started on this path, Drz and I am praying that it will be a great success.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure hope this works for you drz.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope all is well, drz!! I've learned a bunch from this thread. Thank you for sharing your story!

KB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast