Oh the dreaded side effects of prednisone!!! What ones do you struggle with the most? And how do you deal with each one as it comes?

I'll start off - thankfully I haven't had too much trouble with a huge appetite, which I've heard touted as one of the biggest side effects. Maybe I'm just too stubborn to let myself overeat, and have learned to "go to bed hungry"... maybe it just didn't hit me as hard as it does some people. However, the 2 that I have the hardest time with are not sleeping and weight gain.

As far as the weight gain goes, I found that it helps to re-do my wardrobe as the finances allow, so I actually have clothes that fit and make me feel attractive. My friends and family know why I look chubby and they don't care (as in, they love me anyway) so I've found that when I take time for myself and work on my appearance - but don't slave over it - I feel so much better usually. Still have my days, but when my esteem is up it doesn't bother me as much.

But for the lack of sleep - I had chronic insomnia before the WG started, and was able to mostly keep it under control with melatonin. Now that barely even does anything. I hate taking sleeping pills because I feel even more drowsy the next day - and you all know the constant level of fatigue we have anyway, so that doesn't help at all. I still take the melatonin, because it at least aids in the quality of my sleep, although not in the quantity... any suggestions other than sleeping pills?? I am not an emotional person, but some days it's almost more than I can handle to go without good sleep for so long. Having my hubby to snuggle against helps tremendously, but he sometimes has to work 24 hours shifts or go away for military duty.... Suggestions??