A friend emailed me this last night and I thought it was interesting. I'm not sure where she got it so I can't attribute a source. A quick Google search turned up nothing.

Q: Are there supplements that will help with Wegener’s granulomatosis?
— Tara F., Redondo Beach, Calif.

A: Wegener’s granulomatosis is a disorder associated with vasculitis, or inflammation of the blood vessels, especially the smaller blood vessels. It becomes especially problematic when the lungs and the kidneys are affected, as they cause the greatest risk to life. While no nutritional treatments have been scientifically studied, there are theoretical possibilities that could offer considerable benefit. Since this is an inflammatory disease, antiinflammatory supplements should help. The mainstream medical community is aware of the anti-inflammatory effect as well. In fact, powerful immune suppressant drugs, such as cyclophosphamide, prednisone, and methotrexate are the current medical treatments of choice to reduce the intense immune reactions. Unfortunately, all of these have considerable side effects and serious complications associated with their use.

One hint for treatment comes from the fact that Wegener’s is less common in Japan than European countries and the U.S., and this may be due to a higher intake of omega-3 oils and flavonoids. The Japanese have some of the highest intakes of flavonoids from fruits and vegetables. Increasing one’s intake of omega-3 oils, as purified capsules or in liquid form, dramatically reduces symptoms and damage in a related autoimmune disease — Lupus. Taking 1,000 milligrams of fish oil daily can significantly reduce the immune attack and reduces inflammation.

Any chronic inflammatory disease, as with Wegener’s, is associated with a depletion of magnesium, and magnesium can reduce inflammation, improve blood flow through the microvessels, and increase the cell’s antioxidant
protection. Taking 500 milligrams of magnesium citrate/malate twice a day will accomplish this. For people with kidney damage, blood magnesium levels must be carefully monitored. Curcumin and quercetin both powerfully reduce inflammation and could be of benefit. They are best absorbed if mixed with extra-virgin olive oil. The dose is 500 milligrams of each three times a day with meals. It will reduce damage to the lung and kidneys, as well as other organs and tissues. A good multivitamin, without iron, is also essential. Vitamin C and the B vitamins are rapidly lost with chronic inflammatory diseases. Be sure to follow the dietary recommendation from my last two newsletters.
I take fish oil myself. What do others think of this?