Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative Treatments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Alternative Treatments?

Just wondering if anyone has benefited from alternative medical treatments like seeing a Naturopathic Doctor or getting Acupuncture? I am thinking about trying Acupuncture. The Dr I may see says she has a lot of experience treating patients will various auto-immune diseases. Worth a shot? What other types of treatments have you tried? I also go for massage, but it's more of a feel good thing for loosening up sore muscles from physical activity.

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of accupuncture. I haven't been yet for my Wegs...but that's basically because I don't go much of anywhere these days. But I've seen one for other stuff with a lot of good success. Once my drugs have been adequately tapered I'll go to a guy I see here in Oakland. If you end up going to one, let me know how it works with your Wegs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pmarsh View Post
    The Dr I may see says she has a lot of experience treating patients will various auto-immune diseases. Worth a shot?
    You can use holistic medicine to a degree but you need to be very careful. Here are a couple of threads with my suggestions and explanations (look for my posts):
    http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...mmate-i-2.html

http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...-remedies.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, be careful with massage. No deep masssage for those on chemo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'd listen to Sangye on this one..... Be very, very careful.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you are going to get a similar reaction from most on the Forum. Alternative treatments are a subject that has come up many times over the years, but I've yet to hear much in the way of success. However, we all know how finely balanced our current drug regimens are and know how quickly things can go horribly and even permanently wrong.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Jack and Sangye said. You aren't going to see too much talk about alternative treatments as being a substitute for standard medicine for wegs, and since our conditions are often so precarious (even when healthy), you have to ask yourself with the benefits outweigh the risks. I haven't gotten so much as a massage since I have been on mtx. I did get accupuncture because of my problems with my ankle. It didn't help, but mtx certainly did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thakator View Post
    Also, be careful with massage. No deep masssage for those on chemo.
    I used to really like a good massage and got several before my diagnosis. They seemed to help me feel better for an hour or two but did nothing to help the joint pain from the Wegs.

What are the risks from a massage? I have not got any since my diagnosis.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I used to really like a good massage and got several before my diagnosis. They seemed to help me feel better for an hour or two but did nothing to help the joint pain from the Wegs.

What are the risks from a massage? I have not got any since my diagnosis.
    I think the risks from a deep tissue massage are that it can release the toxic ctx or other chemo that has built up over time in our muscles. If it is released it can wreak havoc on our body and possibly kill us.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm certainly not looking at alternative treatments to replace typical treatments, just compliment them. From what I've read there is no real reason for someone on Chemo to avoid massage. The only risks are greater likelihood of bruising with deeper massages, and of course the risk of infection if you have cuts or scraps and there is poor hygiene at the clinic you go to. I will certainly be cautious about what I do - knowing that the goal is still immuno-suppression - but I'm also curious about whether anyone has found any alternative treatments to be beneficial.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast