Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure sores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pressure sores.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject of pressure sores? I am well aware that I have many of the risk factors so got the nurse to have a look at a slightly sore spot that seems to be developing at the top of my leg. She confirmed that it is indeed the start of a pressure sore although the skin is not broken at present and so she has referred me to the district nurse who has experience in this area. In the meantime she told me to try to keep the pressure off it. More easily said than done!

(I'm sure some of you must think I sit around and make this stuff up! It is just one problem after another. )
    Last edited by Jack; 07-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Jack - sorry to hear you are having this problem. I haven't had this myself, but when I was in hospital recently I noticed that some long-term patients were given sheepskins to lie and sit on. I wonder if this would be beneficial to you. Hope you find some relief soon.

Fran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the pressure from sitting or laying down? I'm afraid I don't have any real experience here. Is it a matter of taking a different position perhaps? I know when I broke my tail bone (Completely different obviously) I found some relief from sitting pressure but sitting on a pad that had a cut out in the sore area (Coccyx cushion). But not sure if that is practical at all in your situation.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We bought my dad a sheepskin for his chair and his bed . Seem to help . you can also put a cotton sheet over. DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have the eggcrate/convoluted foam mattress covers in the UK? They really help. I'm sure your nurse will have lots of suggestions, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good suggestions thanks.

The problem is from sitting and is at the top of my left leg/edge of lower pelvis. Obviously I try to keep from sitting in one position for too long and I'm now trying to lean to the right to reduce the pressure. I use a sheepskin when at my Sister's house and find it very comfortable so I'll look into getting one I think, but first I'll see what the nurse has to say.
    Last edited by Jack; 07-06-2011 at 04:48 AM.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, the only thing that helps is getting up every 30 minutes and moving a few steps and sit back for circulation and use the sheep skin and a eggcrate (get someone to cut it to size) and place in your chair. You don't want it to get to a stage 2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pressure sores? What next?

I have not heard of these before but it makes sense. Jack, we know you well by now and do not think you make this stuff up. I can attest myself with having all the wierd stuff happen to me over the last couple of years.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Does anyone have any words of wisdom on the subject of pressure sores? I am well aware that I have many of the risk factors so got the nurse to have a look at a slightly sore spot that seems to be developing at the top of my leg. She confirmed that it is indeed the start of a pressure sore although the skin is not broken at present and so she has referred me to the district nurse who has experience in this area. In the meantime she told me to try to keep the pressure off it. More easily said than done!

(I'm sure some of you must think I sit around and make this stuff up! It is just one problem after another. )
    Jack, I had this problem when I first got sick, could not move w/o help for 3 mos. the sheepskin does work but I have found that I still need to move around every half hour, and when sitting to move often in the chair. the nurse will know what to do to heal it. good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack, my wife (who is in the know) says that you are doing the right things (moving position/taking pressure off the sore) but would recommend you look to purchase a 'pressure relieving cushion'. The District Nurse may be able to help with this but it can take time to sort. She says that Google works!
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast