Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no! Catching my 1st cold!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oh no! Catching my 1st cold!

Wouldn't you know it !! Just when I'm hoping my mtx increase will beat my immune system into submission, I think I'm catching a cold!!

I haven't had a cold since starting immuno-supressants. What should I expect? Will it take me a month to get rid of it? Do docs usually want to decrease immuno-supressants while we're sick?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on mtx for a year and probably had 3 or 4 colds over that time. If any thing, I have been less sick with colds (i.e. feel less beaten down by them) since I have been on an immunosuppressant. Generally, docs keep your immuno at a steady state and increase/decrease according to disease activity, not because of something as transient as a cold.

Hope you feel better soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way of knowing how a cold will affect you. Could be like a regular cold, could drag on much longer or could make you very weak. Before I got Wegs I rarely even got colds and hardly noticed it when I had one. Now it's a major thing-- greatly weakens me. I did have one last year that was very odd. I got extremely weak and sick with obvious cold symptoms (after a known exposure that day) but it only lasted 36 hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if I have had a cold during the past 25 years since coughing and a runny nose are part of my everyday life. I expect that I must have had colds on occasions, but they obviously did not affect me to any great extent. I was quite alarmed when I read the recent experiences of burst ear drums since I had never considered that a cold could have such a serious outcome.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say after being newly diagnosed this was my biggest fear and i think i have mentioned my barrier methods such as covering my mouth and nose with a scarf if someone coughs in my general direction!

I got a cold over Christmas and it didnt affect me very much apart from coughing up extra mucus.

I havent really had colds in the last few years and i always attributed this with my nose being so stuffed up. Now that problem is going i expect more on the way.

Just keep an eye on it and if it gives ya any concern go and see your doctors.

As a side note is there any reason why i should have excess mucus on a daily basis? I did wonder if this was connected to post nasal drip but the mucus is further down my wind pipe near my lungs and when i breathe i can hear it and occasionally cough up the excess.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The excessive mucus is something you need to get checked out at some time. mine turned out to be due to Bronchiectasis and I know a couple of others on here have it too. A pulmonary doc is the one to give you a diagnosis.

There is nothing much published that links Bronchiectasis with Wegener's, but I suspect that there probably is a connection. I'm not a great believer in coincidence.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok thanks for that Jack. I see my chest consultant in May maybe i should bring forward the apointment.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    I have to say after being newly diagnosed this was my biggest fear and i think i have mentioned my barrier methods such as covering my mouth and nose with a scarf if someone coughs in my general direction!
    I remember reading about some of your germ preventing methods. I laughed, cause I do a lot of the same things. I was a germ freak BEFORE my wegs diagnosis. Now I'm even worse. And I take a lot of teasing for it too! But, like you said, catching a cold has been a huge fear of mine since starting on mtx.

The other day, I picked my kids up after a school dance......the second I walked in the door, I was sneezed on by a child who, of course didn't cover his mouth. I held my breath as long as I could.........a lot of good it did me! Here I sit with my first cold. Damn.

I guess I'll go try to rinse the nasty germs out of my nose now. Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much you can do in that situation, ChrisG. One thing I do whenever I'm in a germy place is occasional snort out air through my nostrils and/or blow my nose. That will chase out some of the germs at least!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take almost no precautions. I don't think there is much you can do to avoid infection when it is spread over every surface you come into contact with in addition to being airborne. So for me it is just the everyday things like washing that most people practice anyway.
    Jack

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast