Hi Marta,

Got your message, my email address is [email protected].

So, I was on cyclophosphamide for a year, first 6 months of monthly infusions followed by a big relapse, then 6 months of oral cyclo and again another major relapse. So, in March 2009 I tried Rituxan and I don't remember being too concerned about the JC virus, but all I know is that finally I had relief and was finally able to be stable on coming down to 10mg of Prednisone. I took Methotrexate at the same time which I still take, and now after spending last year trying to come off the Prednisone - 1mg per month, I was relapsing again so I've just completed my first infusion of Rituxan again and have the second one next week, and I can tell you, it is a piece of cake for me. I feel better and other than not "feeling" well for a few days after and still a little more tired than usual, I'm looking forward to trying to come off the Prednisone again.

Even with the chemo which kills all of our immune system - good and bad cells - at least the Rituxan only targets the B cells, so yes, WG is something we'll always have and we'll always have to monitor, but I haven't been as sick (which brings on the immune system, which brings on the WG), and I feel "almost normal" again, the best I've felt since I first got diagnosed.

Good luck with your treatment and if you're having it in Alberta, I hope you have some kind of coverage as Alberta hasn't approved Rituxan - I changed my Manulife coverage to 100% so they are paying the almost $10,000 as Blue Cross will not cover for it.

Keep us posted!

Gurinder