Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Small update on Elena

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought they are both the same thing, just different names.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    No there really does not seem to be any prednisolone 1 mg pills to be bought in Norway. But there seem to be 1 mg prednisone pills. Can anyone tell me the difference between prednisone and prednisolone? I only know that prednisone is transformed into prednisolone in the liver, or something like that.
    Ask your pharmacist or whatever you call the person who dispenses meds for you. I would think they might be interchangeable for your use but the pharmacist could best advise you. I know my 1 mg pills are scored so they break easily in half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    No there really does not seem to be any prednisolone 1 mg pills to be bought in Norway. But there seem to be 1 mg prednisone pills. Can anyone tell me the difference between prednisone and prednisolone? I only know that prednisone is transformed into prednisolone in the liver, or something like that.
    Elena, prednisone is, indeed, a "pro-drug". It is the passive form that gets converted into the active form by the liver. Prednisolone (AKA medrol, solemedrol, or methylprednisolone) can be in oral form--tablets or in a syrup--but the term usually refers to the liquid version appropriate for IV uses. It what what you get in your juice along with CTX or the like. Not sure, but I think the conversion ratio is something like 1 mg prednisolone=1.6 mg of prednisone. Prednisone is much less expensive, which is why its use is so widespread compared to prednisolone, However, if one's liver is distressed, the active steroid might be a better choice.

Al

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234