Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cellcept - typical dose

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Justin is home from the hosptial

He came home from the hospital last night. His kidney function is about 70-80% according to the nephrologists (creatinine is 1.6). Justin is now getting EPO shots once a week. After 5 pints of blood he looks and feels better than he has in a long time. We have hematologists to add to the team of doctors now. They said that after examining his red blood cells in the lab, that they are damaged and they believe that is due to the cellcept. The rheumy's don't want to take him off (at least not yet) so we are going to monitor closely. He is taking iron and getting EPO shots to stimulate red blood cell production.

Something that we learned that we did not know is that when he takes iron, he should NOT take it with milk, he should eat some meat with it, and he should not lay or sit down immediately after taking it. Otherwise his body will not absorb it. Up to now, he has always taken it with milk and then gone to bed.

His Hemocrit was 32.7 and his Hemoglobin was 10.6 when he left the hospital last night. That is the highest for either since he was diagnosed with WG. His B12 and Iron levels are ok. We are still waiting the results of the Parvo virus test (did not know humans got Parvo). If he does have that, it will keep destroying his blood cells until he gets over it.

Thanks for all the support.
    Theresa (Justin, diagnosed 4/10)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good to hear he is geting the help he needs take care of yiou all DEEx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad they figured it out, Theresa. I wonder how the cellcept is causing RBC damage?

The prescription instructions that come with his iron should mention the milk and the other restrictions. In general, don't take any meds with dairy, calcium or magnesium supplements, as these can prevent them from being absorbed. If he wants something other than water, a little juice is the best bet.

The human parvo virus is different from the one dogs get, so you don't have to worry about him being around dogs or anything (in case you were worrying about that!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I wonder how the cellcept is causing RBC damage?

After a quick Google, I'll answer my own question.... A reaction to any med can cause hemolytic anemia. Interestingly, cellcept has been used to treat autoimmune hemolytic anemia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for the update and glad Justin is feeling better. I learn something new every day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad that Justin is getting better. One thing about pets, there is a parasite disease called toxoplasmosis, I contracted it from either bunnies or cats (most likely), or dogs (had all at the time) before getting pregnant. Please make sure you have your vet do a thourough checkup on your canine or feline friends.
    Jolanta

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123